Posted to dev@carbondata.apache.org by caiqiang <qi...@qq.com> on 2016/10/24 07:43:10 UTC

please vote and comment: remove thrift solution

Hi

Currently, There are two typical Thrift issues:

1.Users want to directly build Apache CarbonData, don’t need to install Thrift in advance. For example:

Julian Hyde-3’s feedback in IPMC mailing list: I was not able to build (not your fault - I did not have thrift
installed and didn't have the time & patience to install it).

2.Need to fix Apache Jenkins CI issues, as below:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.thrift.tools:maven-thrift-plugin:0.1.11:compile (generate-thrift-java) on project carbondata-format: thrift did not exit cleanly. Review output for more information. -> [Help 1]

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute goal org.apache.thrift.tools:maven-thrift-plugin:0.1.11:compile (generate-thrift-java) on project carbondata-format: thrift did not exit cleanly. Review output for more information.

For solving the above mentioned Thrift issues, i would like to propose one solution: Directly use java code ( thrift compiler compile carbondata format files to java  code) to build, then users don't need to do any thrift installation.

please vote and comment :

To continue use the current manual install method to build

or

To directly use java code which be generated by thrift compiler to build

Re: please vote and comment: remove thrift solution

Posted by QiangCai <qi...@qq.com>.
After discussion, the result as following

Solution:
- Use jars published in Apache repository

Rejected Solution:
- Directly use source code

Re: please vote and comment: remove thrift solution

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Agree.

Regards
JB

\u2063\u200b

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Ravindra Pesala <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

--
Thanks & Regards,
Ravi

Re: please vote and comment: remove thrift solution

Posted by Vimal Das Kammath <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1 for directly using java code to build.
At the same time, we should have the CI infrastructure to ensure that the
.thrift files and the generated source code are always in sync.

Regards
Vimal

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Jihong Ma <Ji...@huawei.com>.
+1.

I agree shipping the generated JAVA code has drawback, we should explore to publish it on Maven central repository for release, so that with the correct artifacts in place for the corresponding release in pom.xml, we are good.

Jihong

Posted by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1