Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by rb...@yahoo.co.in on 2009/08/01 03:53:28 UTC

using control characters to seperate key-value

Hi,
    I have a problem trying to customize the
key-value seperator of the reducer output:

My Hadoop version: 0.19.2

I'm trying to get the reducer to use ctrl-A to seperate key
value pairs.

conf.set("mapred.textoutputformat.separator","\001");
// also tried
conf.set("mapred.textoutputformat.separator","\u0001");
conf.setOutputFormat(TextOutputFormat.class);

When trying to run the map reduce process, I get the
following error.

org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException: java.io.IOException:
java.lang.RuntimeException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException:
Character reference "&#1" is an invalid XML character.

As far as I know, xml does not permit control characters.
Is there a trick to working around this ?
 Rajeev