Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> on 2011/04/11 23:40:46 UTC

Release Manager Volunteers?

The amount of time I'm able to commit to Cassandra going forward is
uncertain, plus, it wouldn't hurt give someone else a turn, or to have
some redundancy here.  Do we have any volunteers?

The requirements are:
 * Committer
 * Gluten for punishment

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: Release Manager Volunteers?

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
(You don't need to Cc me, I am subscribed)

On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 08:56 +0100, Stephen Connolly wrote:
> Why should you limit to just one volunteer?

I wouldn't; I didn't.

> The idea is that the procedure in
> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/HowToPublishReleases should be
> followable by any Cassandra committer.
>
> I would propose that the release manager is the person who steps up to
> run the release for that specific release. If it is just one person
> always making releases then that becomes a SPOF... better to have more
> than one and round-robin it, or have one do the stable releases and
> the other do the new releases...

That's a good idea, we can start round-robining between Sylvain and
Sylvain right away! :)

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Why should you limit to just one volunteer?

The idea is that the procedure in
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/HowToPublishReleases should be
followable by any Cassandra committer.

I would propose that the release manager is the person who steps up to
run the release for that specific release. If it is just one person
always making releases then that becomes a SPOF... better to have more
than one and round-robin it, or have one do the stable releases and
the other do the new releases...

I'd volunteer as well only I don't have commit access... (I have
access to publish to maven central on behalf of cassandra, but that's
a whole other story)

-Stephen

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@racklabs.com>.