Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by Da...@empolis.com on 2008/08/28 15:48:14 UTC

3rd party dependencies

Hi all,

is there somewhere a list with all 3rd party dependencies, their version
and license model and what they are used for in Tuscany ?
This would be really helpful for eclipse legal process. It could also
help us to solve conflicts in OSGi environment when integrating Tuscany
to our software (e.g when having requirements for the same lib in
different versions). It could also help figure out what Tuscany jars are
needed for certain use cases and which 3rd party libs are required
therefore (for minimizing the list of dependencies).
If there is no such list, would it be possible to provide on in the wiki
?

Another Question: If I build OSGi bundles in sca\itest\osgi-tuscany, all
3rd party bundles are created twice in
sca\itest\osgi-tuscany\tuscany-versioned\target\classes. On has the
original name, the other uses the prefix
"org.apache.tuscany.sca.3rdparty.". I compared the ones created for
xerces and could not find any differences (besides different format in
Manifest.mf).

The number of jars is slightly different, as the ones with prefix also
contains these, which do not seem to be real 3rd party libs

org.apache.tuscany.das.tuscany-das-rdb_1.0.0.SNAPSHOT.jar
org.apache.tuscany.sdo.lib_1.1.1.jar
org.apache.tuscany.sdo.spec_1.1.1.jar
org.apache.tuscany.sdo.tuscany-sdo-impl_1.1.1.jar
org.apache.tuscany.sdo.tuscany-sdo-tools_1.1.0.incubating.jar

So why are the other bundles available twice and why are some Tuscany
libs handled as 3rd party ?

Bye,
Daniel

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
Daniel,

I have modified the plugin to remove the upper bound on the version range
for OSGi framework packages. You will need to update
sca/tools/maven/maven-tuscany-bundle-plugin and rebuild this module as well
as do a clean build of itest/osgi-tuscany.

Thank you for pointing this out.

--
Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini

AW: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Da...@empolis.com.

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Daniel,

After thinking about how to write out licenses, I concluded that it
didn't make sense to put the information in the dependency tables (far
too much duplication), so I just wrote a little routine to dump out
the information.  The attached file contains the results.  The format
is a module per line, and each line contains <module name>, <version>,
<licenses> (I chose comma separated because it imports nicely into a
spreadsheet).  Note, some modules are available under multiple
licenses which are also comma separated.  If the license value is
'null' it means there wasn't a "Bundle-License" entry in the MANIFEST.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Graham.

2008/9/4  <Da...@empolis.com>:
> Hi Graham,
>
> thank you very much for your effort !
> We really appreciate that !
>
> Bye,
> Daniel

AW: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Da...@empolis.com.

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Mike,

Sadly, this is the best interface I've found so far, but any
suggestions for alternatives would be gratefully received.  The first
one I tried was GMF, and it's performance and inability to identify
sub-parts of the graph meant it was unusable.

Regards, Graham.

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
\Graham,

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com>.

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com>.

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com>.

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com>.

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
Daniel,

--
Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini

AW: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Da...@empolis.com.

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
Daniel,

I think Raymond has modified the plugin to remove the 3rdparty prefix from
sdo and das jars, while the test code still expects them to have the prefix.
I will wait for Raymond's response before modifying the tests because I
think these jars should have the prefix as they are modified by the
Tuscany/SCA build.

--
Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini

AW: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Da...@empolis.com.

>I think you have a slightly older version of the plugin that builds the bundles. Could you update to the latest version of >sca/tools/maven/maven-tuscany-bundle-plugin as well as itest/osgi-tuscany and run a clean build of these?
>
>Regards,
>
>Rajini

Yes, after updating I get a clean build of the jars (3rd party jars only with prefixes).
There are still test errors remaining:

 T E S T S
Running org.apache.tuscany.sca.test.osgi.tuscany.OSGiTuscanyRuntimeTestCase
Installing Tuscany from TUSCANY_HOME=C:\works\tuscany\sca\itest\osgi-tuscany\tuscany-versioned\targe
t\classes

osgi> Installing Tuscany from TUSCANY_HOME=C:\works\tuscany\sca\itest\osgi-tuscany\tuscany-versioned
\target\classes

[...]

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
On 8/28/08, Daniel.Stucky@empolis.com <Da...@empolis.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> is there somewhere a list with all 3rd party dependencies, their version
> and license model and what they are used for in Tuscany ?
> This would be really helpful for eclipse legal process. It could also
> help us to solve conflicts in OSGi environment when integrating Tuscany
> to our software (e.g when having requirements for the same lib in
> different versions). It could also help figure out what Tuscany jars are
> needed for certain use cases and which 3rd party libs are required
> therefore (for minimizing the list of dependencies).
> If there is no such list, would it be possible to provide on in the wiki
> ?
>

> Another Question: If I build OSGi bundles in sca\itest\osgi-tuscany, all
> 3rd party bundles are created twice in
> sca\itest\osgi-tuscany\tuscany-versioned\target\classes. On has the
> original name, the other uses the prefix
> "org.apache.tuscany.sca.3rdparty.". I compared the ones created for
> xerces and could not find any differences (besides different format in
> Manifest.mf).
>
> The number of jars is slightly different, as the ones with prefix also
> contains these, which do not seem to be real 3rd party libs
>
> org.apache.tuscany.das.tuscany-das-rdb_1.0.0.SNAPSHOT.jar
> org.apache.tuscany.sdo.lib_1.1.1.jar
> org.apache.tuscany.sdo.spec_1.1.1.jar
> org.apache.tuscany.sdo.tuscany-sdo-impl_1.1.1.jar
> org.apache.tuscany.sdo.tuscany-sdo-tools_1.1.0.incubating.jar
>
> So why are the other bundles available twice and why are some Tuscany
> libs handled as 3rd party ?

Daniel,

--
Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
On 8/29/08, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Rajini.
>
> Can you point out (in JIRAs) what OSGi manifest headers are not good from
> SDO/DAS jars? We should fix them.

SDO manifests use Require-Bundle to pull in EMF and other dependencies,
which in turn introduce a dependency on the Eclipse/Equinox runtime. And it
does not do versioning. At this point, we can replace Require-Bundle with
Import-Package, I would prefer to wait until we have a proper versioning
story in SCA before fixing the SDO manifests. The versioning restrictions
that we impose on SCA (very narrow import version ranges) might not be
suitable for SDO where users may already have dependencies on different
versions of EMF etc.

--
Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Re: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.

--
Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini

AW: 3rd party dependencies

Posted by Da...@empolis.com.
In another thread, Rajini told me to use an older version of maven to get around the jruby problem.
The build itself ran through but some tests failed. Perhaps those jars were some artifacts from older builds. I will make and update and clean and see what the build produces then.

Bye,
Daniel

Re: 3rd party dependencies