Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org> on 2010/10/26 11:31:01 UTC

James 2.x web site

Hi,

The left menu of  http://james.apache.org/server/index.html has now:

     Development 3.0
     Candidate 2.3.2
     Server 2.3.1
     Server 2.3.0
     Server 2.2.0
     Archive

If you click for example on "Candidate 2.3.2", you're going to
http://james.apache.org/server/2.3.2/index.html, and you can click from
there on the left menu (bottom) "Download > Nightly builds" that drives
you to http://people.apache.org/builds/james/nightly/. This url is no
more updated since 27-Apr-2010. The menus (top and left) are also from
the previous skin, so not in line with the new one.

I would like to propose a new menu
     Sever 3.0
     Server 2.3.2
     Archive

... and move the Server 2.3.1, 2.3.0, 2.2.0 to the Archive page.

The 2.3.2 would need to get regenerated and republished.

If ok with this, there is 3 actions:
- Republish 2.3.2: I tried to build the site, but it fails to download
the needed dependency. I will retry from another internet connection.
- In the index pages, push users to download and try 3.0-M1 rather than
the stable 2.3.2.
- Automatically update the nightly dir. if needed, cause we already have
two places to download the snapshots; hudson and maven snaphot repo.

(We already had users trying the outdated 27-Apr 3.0 bundle).

Tks,

Eric

Re: James 2.x web site

Posted by Dhrubo <dh...@gmail.com>.
+1
Kind Regards... Dhrubo

Re: James 2.x web site

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
On 26/10/2010 13:10, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> (snipped)
>> If ok with this, there is 3 actions:
>> - Republish 2.3.2: I tried to build the site, but it fails to download the
>> needed dependency. I will retry from another internet connection.
> ok. Maybe 2.3 needs maven 2 because maven 3 deprecated/removed some
> stuff we used in 2.3 (local repository in the stage module and the
> legacy repository style).

Also tried to build 2.3.2 with mvn 2.0.11, 2.2.1, but it still refuse to
resolve some dependencies (although they exist in mvn repo)
Using ant build give exception.
I may come back to it a bit later (for now, I will concentrate on 3.0
web site).

Tks,

Eric

Re: James 2.x web site

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Nice you got it fixed.

Bye,
Norman

Re: James 2.x web site

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

Re: James 2.x web site

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
+1
http://people.apache.org/builds/james/nightly/ links to
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/james/james-server-container-spring/3.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/

The menu will not contain the link to the correct snapshot artifact (ant
will not contain the link to hudsonn, I will simply indicate hudson link
in one of the pages).

Tks,

Eric

Re: James 2.x web site

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.

Re: James 2.x web site

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Re: James 2.x web site

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
2010/10/26 Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>:
> 2010/10/26 Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>:
>> I would like to propose a new menu
>>    Sever 3.0
>>    Server 2.3.2
>>    Archive
>>
>> ... and move the Server 2.3.1, 2.3.0, 2.2.0 to the Archive page.
>>
>> The 2.3.2 would need to get regenerated and republished.
>
> +1, maybe "Server v3" and "Server v2" are more general for a menu name
> that we have in every page, otherwise at every subrelease we have to
> recreate the whole site, but take this only as an hint (you seems to
> understand the implication so I'm fine your choices).

+1 to Stefano's suggestion

>> If ok with this, there is 3 actions:
>> - Republish 2.3.2: I tried to build the site, but it fails to download the
>> needed dependency. I will retry from another internet connection.
>
> ok. Maybe 2.3 needs maven 2 because maven 3 deprecated/removed some
> stuff we used in 2.3 (local repository in the stage module and the
> legacy repository style).
>
>> - In the index pages, push users to download and try 3.0-M1 rather than the
>> stable 2.3.2.
>
> I would prefer to keep pushing users to 2.3.2 for a while. 3.0-M1 is
> still too new to push it to everyday users. 2.3.2 instead is proven
> stable. So, let's start linking 3.0 for early adopters and testers,
> but don't "push" it too much before the GA release.

+1 to Stefano's suggestion

>> - Automatically update the nightly dir. if needed, cause we already have two
>> places to download the snapshots; hudson and maven snaphot repo.
>
> +1

+1

> Stefano

Bye,