Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/04 17:33:17 UTC

Contributing parts of the ServiceRegistry Hooks (RFC 126) implementation into Felix

Hi all,

In the context of the Apache CXF project a number of people have been
involved in implementing the Distribution Software part of Distributed
OSGi (RFC 119 [1]).

For its functioning on the client side, Distributed OSGi depends on
the OSGi Service Registry Hooks (RFC 126, also available in [1]). To
keep us going we implemented certain bits of RFC 126 in a private copy
of Felix in the CXF DOSGi buildsystem. However, we would like to use
the real Felix, so we are interested in contributing our RFC 126 bits
into Felix so we can use it straight from there. This is referenced in
CXF bug https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-1897

The CXF codebase doesnt contain all of RFC 126 - it only contains the
ListenerHook, which is about a third of RFC 126, but it would provide
a start...

If Felix is interested in taking this implementation, it might make
sense to create a bug in Felix JIRA so that this stuff can be attached
as a patch to that once its ready to move into Felix.

Thoughts anyone?

Best regards,

David

[1] http://www.osgi.org/download/osgi-4.2-early-draft.pdf

Re: Contributing parts of the ServiceRegistry Hooks (RFC 126) implementation into Felix

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
Oh...I see (I read from Nabble, and it doesn't tell me this.)  Never mind.

Glen

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Glen,

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Just to let you know that over the past few day's I've been working
with Richard on this issue
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-804). The code now sits
in the Felix trunk and I have verified that it works with the DOSGi
code in the CXF sandbox. My understanding is that the Felix project
can a release relatively soon, once that's there we can start moving
this code out of the sandbox.

(BTW the DOSGi code also works with the latest Equinox version, as
that already has a full RFC 126 implementation)

Cheers,

David

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
I will try to take a look at it soon.

-> richard

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
2008/11/4 Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org>:
> I think it sounds reasonable. I am all for creating a JIRA issue with
> appropriate patch.

Great. I've created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-804
where the patch will ultimately be attached.

> I assume that since this is already in CXF svn repo, that IP clearance is
> already taken care of, so we should just be able to move forward with the
> proposed patch. Is that correct?

Yes. All the code in the CXF sandbox has been contributed to the ASF
through the appropriate processes.

Cheers,

David

Re: Contributing parts of the ServiceRegistry Hooks (RFC 126) implementation into Felix

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2008/11/5 David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> In the context of the Apache CXF project a number of people have been
> involved in implementing the Distribution Software part of Distributed
> OSGi (RFC 119 [1]).
>
> For its functioning on the client side, Distributed OSGi depends on
> the OSGi Service Registry Hooks (RFC 126, also available in [1]). To
> keep us going we implemented certain bits of RFC 126 in a private copy
> of Felix in the CXF DOSGi buildsystem. However, we would like to use
> the real Felix, so we are interested in contributing our RFC 126 bits
> into Felix so we can use it straight from there. This is referenced in
> CXF bug https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-1897
>
> The CXF codebase doesnt contain all of RFC 126 - it only contains the
> ListenerHook, which is about a third of RFC 126, but it would provide
> a start...
>
> If Felix is interested in taking this implementation, it might make
> sense to create a bug in Felix JIRA so that this stuff can be attached
> as a patch to that once its ready to move into Felix.
>
> Thoughts anyone?

+1 sounds good to me

> Best regards,
>
> David
>
> [1] http://www.osgi.org/download/osgi-4.2-early-draft.pdf

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: Contributing parts of the ServiceRegistry Hooks (RFC 126) implementation into Felix

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2008/11/5 David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> In the context of the Apache CXF project a number of people have been
> involved in implementing the Distribution Software part of Distributed
> OSGi (RFC 119 [1]).
>
> For its functioning on the client side, Distributed OSGi depends on
> the OSGi Service Registry Hooks (RFC 126, also available in [1]). To
> keep us going we implemented certain bits of RFC 126 in a private copy
> of Felix in the CXF DOSGi buildsystem. However, we would like to use
> the real Felix, so we are interested in contributing our RFC 126 bits
> into Felix so we can use it straight from there. This is referenced in
> CXF bug https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-1897
>
> The CXF codebase doesnt contain all of RFC 126 - it only contains the
> ListenerHook, which is about a third of RFC 126, but it would provide
> a start...
>
> If Felix is interested in taking this implementation, it might make
> sense to create a bug in Felix JIRA so that this stuff can be attached
> as a patch to that once its ready to move into Felix.
>
> Thoughts anyone?

+1 sounds good to me

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Hello David,

On Nov 4, 2008, at 17:33 , David Bosschaert wrote:

> In the context of the Apache CXF project a number of people have been
> involved in implementing the Distribution Software part of Distributed
> OSGi (RFC 119 [1]). [...]

> If Felix is interested in taking this implementation, it might make
> sense to create a bug in Felix JIRA so that this stuff can be attached
> as a patch to that once its ready to move into Felix.

+1 That's great news! After discussing this with you in Berlin, I've
become very enthousiastic about this.

Greetings, Marcel