Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com> on 2003/08/20 23:37:39 UTC

[PMC] FAO PMC re: JavaMail and Alex Blewitt

I have a couple of questions for Geronimo's PMC:

1) What is the official Geronimo decision regarding a clean-room
implementation of JavaMail's API? Are we happy to invest the time in
(a) building, and (b) maintaining such a product to avoid licensing
issues with (re)distribution of Sun's API reference code? As well as
licensing, ease-of-use should come into consideration as well; a J2EE
server that requires you to download extra components whilst installing
may not be seen as user-friendly as one that comes all-in.

2) On Saturday, Jason Dillon proposed a [Vote] to allow me commit
rights to the repository [1]. (I'm guessing that this means a +1 :-).
However, the only person who responded was Greg Wilkins [2] who
abstained from that vote, given that I am not an existing ASF member.
Did people not respond to the [Vote] on the grounds that it got buried
in all the weekend's mail, or is such a non-response automatically
counted as an abstention? And how long a timescale is it before the
[Vote] is considered closed (and thus everyone who has not yet
responded is automatically abstained)? FWIW I have signed the ASF2
agreement, but failed succesfully to scan it since the fax number rang
out when I called it. (I have it as a PDF anyway, so can always e-mail
it if that is acceptable).

I hope that you can answer these questions and give me guidance
regarding the recent [JavaMail] discussions regarding whether to
continue re-implementing the API or to junk it in favour of using the
binary build downloaded from Sun.

Thanks,

Alex.

[1] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listId=140&msgNo=1775
[2] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listId=140&msgNo=1851

Re: [PMC] FAO PMC re: JavaMail and Alex Blewitt

Posted by Mark Mahieu <ma...@twistedbanana.demon.co.uk>.
>Personally, I think Jason jumped the gun here. Geronimo is only a couple of
>weeks old and the community is still settling down. Becoming a committer at
>Apache requires a commitment (sorry, bad pun) to the community over and
>above the code; from what I have heard, it typically takes six months or so
>before a vote (e.g. Paul Hammant's mail [3]). This is different to other
>communities where gaining commit may be easier but it carries little
>influence.
>
>So at this time I would probably vote -1 on any proposal for a new committer
>purely to let the community settle down. The exception to this would be for
>someone with a proven track record either at ASF or on one of the affiliated
>projects such as OpenEJB.
>
>Having said that, the JavaMail implementation could be considered a isolated
>effort under the 'specs' sub-module, so if the proposal was to allow Alex
>commit in that area it might be different. However, I am not sure that the
>process for this type of sub-sub-project in the incubator is well defined
>and we're breaking enough new ground as it is.
>
>--
>Jeremy
>
>[3] http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=&msgId=1004954

Hmm, personally I see Alex as one of the most active and /committed/
people on this list at the moment.  (Think about that word for a
moment).  I've read a ridiculous number of emails from people offering
their help, most of whom, so far at least, have not been heard from
again. I've also read almost as many from people complaining about the
lack of direction and communication about what this project is.  Correct
me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Alex has contributed something
which has been, at the very least, worth responding to, to many many
conversations on this list.

I don't necessarily agree with everything Alex has said, but does that
matter?  Not in my opinion.  He's taken the time and effort to try to
pull this project forward and challenge opinions regardless of the
nay-sayers. I agree that this project is very young, but personally I
think that kind of active (I'll emphasise the word again here...)
/commitment/ is exactly what this project needs at this stage.

As far as the 6 month thing is concerned, are you suggesting that
nobody, regardless of the amount of effort they put in, is able to
become a committer until this project is at least 6 months old?  Apart
from (as you appear to be suggesting) those who are already 'part of the
inner circle' on certain 'already blessed' projects.  If so, that's very
discouraging.

Regards,

Mark

Re: [PMC] FAO PMC re: JavaMail and Alex Blewitt

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>.
> Personally, I think Jason jumped the gun here. Geronimo is only a
> couple of
> weeks old and the community is still settling down. Becoming a
> committer at
> Apache requires a commitment (sorry, bad pun) to the community over and
> above the code; from what I have heard, it typically takes six months
> or so
> before a vote (e.g. Paul Hammant's mail [3]). This is different to
> other
> communities where gaining commit may be easier but it carries little
> influence.

Agreed, I was getting jumpy.  My apologies.

--jason

RE: [PMC] FAO PMC re: JavaMail and Alex Blewitt

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <je...@coredevelopers.net>.
> From: Alex Blewitt [mailto:Alex.Blewitt@ioshq.com]
> I have a couple of questions for Geronimo's PMC:

At this time Geronimo falls under the Incubator PMC.

> 1) What is the official Geronimo decision regarding a clean-room
> implementation of JavaMail's API? Are we happy to invest the time in
> (a) building, and (b) maintaining such a product to avoid licensing
> issues with (re)distribution of Sun's API reference code? As well as
> licensing, ease-of-use should come into consideration as well; a J2EE
> server that requires you to download extra components whilst installing
> may not be seen as user-friendly as one that comes all-in.

In my opinion, I think this is a worthwhile endeavour for precisely the
reason you describe - having a independently distributable version of this
API. I am concerned about the amount of effort required given the amount of
concrete code in the spec, and that it may be wasted if negotiations allow
free redistribution of Sun's version in the future. However, that is not as
yet on the radar.

So, given you are willing to step up and complete this work, I would vote +1
to continue.