Posted to community@apache.org by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com> on 2003/07/08 18:32:18 UTC

Re: [i18n] Internationalization subproject sponsor?

Robert Simpson escribió:

> I also fear that if I go back to simply continuing the development of
> the code myself, that eventually the need in Jakarta will be
> recognized, but I will be too far along at that point to convert
> everything to it.  Or worse yet, the need will be recognized at
> different times within each Jakarta subproject, resulting in each
> subproject doing internationalization their own way.

Jetspeed is already using i18n (or is it l10n?) for most of its strings.
We use the Turbine 2.2 localization service for client specific
ResourceBundles lookup and caching.

I think Tomcat has also some effort already done.

The main problem I see in your proposal is not coding it, but getting
any/some/most of the jakarta projects to use the code, and agree in ways
to handle the files back and forth as the development process
progresses. Also, I think this is not a pure java issue, and looking at
it from the whole Apache might help (as the web sites and the project
documents would also need translation effort).

I think a project which would take care of document and/or Resource
bundle translation, coordinated with each Apache project requiring so
would be a great thing in terms of infrastructure.

I cc: community for insight, since there is much more in Apache than
jakarta (even in the java world, there is a lot of  XML people working
in java)

Regards
--
Santiago Gala
High Sierra Technology, S.L. (http://hisitech.com)

Re: [i18n] Internationalization subproject sponsor?

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Being a native english speaker, I can't contribute directly to
translations, but I think it would be great to have a coordinated,
apache-wide effort to seek volunteers to translate documentation, and
should projects so desire, messages.

The FSF and Debian, for instance, have been very successful in their
efforts to coordinate translators.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: [i18n] Internationalization subproject sponsor?

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
I'll put the original proposal from Robert Simpson below:

I suggested him to come here and to say what he wants to
do in this community@ mail list.

Personally, I do think that the i18n issue is not only related to java
but also to all the *language*s. So, I suggested to him, "you do not
have to adhere to jakarta, IMHO".

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

On 3 Jul 2003 15:23:10 -0000
(Subject: [i18n] Internationalization subproject sponsor?)
Robert Simpson <Ro...@iToolSet.com> wrote:

> To current members of the Jakarta project:
>
> Is there any current member of the Jakarta project who would be interested in
> sponsoring the entry of the Internationalization subproject into the
> incubator?
>
> The Internationalization subproject would be somewhat different than the
> other Jakarta projects in that there would be two types of contributors:
>
>    1. the (traditional) code contributors
>    2. the language translation contributors
>
> So far, the reponses I have received regarding people would would be interested
> in contributing have all been outside Jakarta - mostly language translators.
> Since the Internationalization subproject would most likely fit into the
> Jakarta project, it would help to have a sponsor from within Jakarta, per the
> "Incubation Process" documentation.
>
> The subproject proposal and initial code contribution can be found earlier in
> the Jakarta General mailing list, or here:
>     http://www.itoolset.com/i18n/PROPOSAL.html
>
> Without a sponsor, I will probably move the code that was extracted in
> preparation for submission to Apache back into the iToolSet package hierarchy
> and let it pass as an Apache contribution until there is more interest in a
> common Internationalization architecture within Apache itself.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Robert Simpson

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 18:32:18 +0200
Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com> wrote:

> Robert Simpson escribió:
>
> > I also fear that if I go back to simply continuing the development of
> > the code myself, that eventually the need in Jakarta will be
> > recognized, but I will be too far along at that point to convert
> > everything to it.  Or worse yet, the need will be recognized at
> > different times within each Jakarta subproject, resulting in each
> > subproject doing internationalization their own way.
> >

> Jetspeed is already using i18n (or is it l10n?) for most of its strings.
> We use the Turbine 2.2 localization service for client specific
> ResourceBundles lookup and caching.
>
> I think Tomcat has also some effort already done.
>
> The main problem I see in your proposal is not coding it, but getting
> any/some/most of the jakarta projects to use the code, and agree in ways
> to handle the files back and forth as the development process
> progresses. Also, I think this is not a pure java issue, and looking at
> it from the whole Apache might help (as the web sites and the project
> documents would also need translation effort).
>
> I think a project which would take care of document and/or Resource
> bundle translation, coordinated with each Apache project requiring so
> would be a great thing in terms of infrastructure.
>
> I cc: community for insight, since there is much more in Apache than
> jakarta (even in the java world, there is a lot of  XML people working
> in java)
>
> Regards
> --
> Santiago Gala
> High Sierra Technology, S.L. (http://hisitech.com)
> http://memojo.com?page=SantiagoGalaBlog

E-mail: kitahata@bb.mbn.or.jp : tetsuya@apache.org
http://www.terra-intl.com/
(Apache Jakarta Translation, Japanese)
http://jakarta.terra-intl.com/

Re: [i18n] Internationalization subproject

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:46:27 +0100
(Subject: Re: [i18n] Internationalization subproject)
"David Reid" <da...@jetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> FWIW I think that an ASF wide i18n project is a good idea but I think that
> to be a success it must focus on being platform independent from the get-go,
> not do as others have done and start with Java then try to adapt to other
> languages...

Sure.

The precursor is HTTPD-DOCS project, i think.
cf. http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/
If possible, i want this project to come to i18n (TLP) first...
Reorganization.

> Also it should probably go via the incubator as I doubt it'll stand a chance
> of going straight in as a top level project.

IMO, i18n issue should be the ASF-wide, and no need for incubator
project. I am afraid there are few veteran about 18n issue in incubator
members.
And, to tell the truth, the Robert Simpson's initial proposal (codebase)
will directly go to i18n TLP or be incubated **after** the i18n TLP
launch out.

> Why do you think we don't welcome people from all over the world presently?

Nice question. Very very nice.

I, personally, do not think the ASF do not welcome people from all over
the world relatively. However, there might be more *rooms* of the ASF to
give the *sign* that the ASF is welcoming people from all over the world.

--

1.

... How about jakarta-ja@i18n.apache.org ?? ..  where I can talk
the general issues on jakarta in my native language (japanese)

2.

Of course, I know that there are many people who claim, "Hey,
my patch was ignored!", without the esteem for the committers.

However, I also know many patches, which are worthy, from the people
in Asian country had been ignored and they'd come to shut up
their mouths.

In Asia, especially Korea, China and Japan, there are a lot of jakarta
(and other products under ASL) users, however, there seem few feedback
to the ASF from them, even though we take account of the *english
barrier*. Why? .. They feel that it is easier to contribute to
*ASF mirrored sites* (users/dev communities in their native languages)
than *ASF itself*. Or, *just thank to the ASF and use for themselves*
syndrome.

3.

As for language specific mailing list goes, Brian once said,
"I think it would bring non-English-speaking communities closer to the
ASF, rather than encourage them to set up their own islands.",
when I proposed the creation of [japan]-ML *in* apache.org

If i18n TLP launched out, I think these kind of
'language-specific-mailnglist' can reside inside the i18n TLP.

4.

Today, the ASF can not evaluate the activities outside of the ASF
(ASF mirrored) because we can not understand foreign languages.
But, I think ASF mirrored contribution should be evaluated properly by
the ASF and we should appraise their activities.
i18n TLP can provide the ROOMs for us to evaluate the *right*/*active*
persons.

--

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

Re: [i18n] Internationalization subproject

Re: [i18n] Internationalization subproject

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
I completely agree with the Santiago's view.

As I said before,
The i18n sub/project can also attract many contributors who are
interested in the internationalization issues in general. The effort of
the i18n project can influence all the Apache related products. Maybe it
can be a nice *community* which focuses on the internationalization
issues related to the opensource communities. It would be very sad if
the *know-hows*/*knowledge database* for the i18n/l10n issue will not be
gathered in one appropriate place in apache/jakarta. The i18n sub/project
might be able to become a *symbol* of the ASF's i18n, and this gives a
good *SIGN* that ASF is welcoming all sorts of the users, developers
and communities from all over the world. I think it would be very nice
if any committers in a specific sub/project can easily ask to the
community concerning with i18n issue, "I am lacking the know-hows on the
i18n/l10n issue. Are there anyone who can support me/us here??".

Also, I think [i18n] is better to be proposed as TLP (Top Level Project),
and (is possible) the http-docs project can join to it.
cf. http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/

Gather the wisdom from all over the world!

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

P.S. cross-posted to community@, too.. This matter is better to be
discussed at community@ , I think.

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:55:00 -0400

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Simpson <rs...@verizon.net>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On 7/11/03 12:36 PM, "Santiago Gala" <sg...@hisitech.com> wrote:

> Robert Simpson escribió:
>>

> David Taylor has already anwered WRT code.
>
> I was thinking mostly about having a "pool" of people who can translate
> and are more or less "cross project". For instance, I can translate
> English to Spanish, and I'm a committer in Jetspeed, but I could also
> translate, say, parts of the tomcat documents that I'm reading, or some
> XML stuff I'm interested into. Or even docs for Apache modules.

Now you're talking!

> The good part is that it would help the whole community, both WRT
> translation efforts and WRT crosspollination, as these kind of people
> will "see" beyond their small project(s). Also, it oculd bring new kinds
> of developers (Today I heard in the radio, coming home, that 72% od
> people in Spain cannot speak *any* foreign language. We are a bad sample
> but in most of Europe, less than 50% people speaks English.)

+1

> The problem is that I can't see clearly how to implement such a
> crosscutting service/project, in ways that would not be difficult to
> impossible to manage. Specially since we should keep source control on
> both the original doc and the translations in sync.

We're trying to do this on POI, we just have a shortage of people.  We've
already got the source organization.  Anyone who wants to help translate
will be given commit access pretty quickly.

> Any ideas?
>
> Regards

-Andy

--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: [i18n] Internationalization subproject sponsor?

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.

Posted by Robert Simpson <rs...@verizon.net>.
David,

The one-liner you sent (it's a static method rather than a static reference) would not change, but within the Localization class, the localization could be implemented using [i18n]:
         private static final ResourceBundleFamily rbf  = ResourceBundleFamilyFactory.getForClass/Package(someClass);

I've just started using Velocity, thanks for the tip - looks like a nice feature....

Robert Simpson

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Robert Simpson <rs...@verizon.net>.
Santiago Gala,

[...]

As opposed to something that needs to be "coordinated with each Apache project", the Internationalization subproject should simply provide a common means for Apache projects to provide for internationalization.  However, because the language translations for an Apache subproject should probably be distributed with those other subprojects, the InternationalizationLibrary for those subprojects would be included with those subprojects themselves, not the i18n subproject.  I think the relationship between the other subprojects and i18n should be loose and unidirectional.

OTOH, the InternationalizationLibrary's included with i18n would be more general application- or industry-specific (security, accounting, medical, etc).  Things that would get re-used fairly often.

Robert Simpson