Posted to dev@rya.apache.org by Erik Bijsterbosch <e....@gmail.com> on 2017/12/05 12:19:35 UTC

Checklist

Hi everybody.

I've got some questions for you regarding W3C SPARQL compliancy
<https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/> of the latest RYA release.
They are part of the requirements for selecting our companies next triple
store (we've ranked several candidates already, but we'd prefer to go open
source in time).
When answered I suggest to add them to a feature/compliancy list on Apache
Rya Home <https://rya.apache.org/documentation/>, good for marketing ;-)  I
could first add them to the Github Rya Documentation
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-rya/blob/master/extras/rya.manual/src/site/markdown/index.md>
.
Some major features are worked upon (JIRA
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/RYA/issues/RYA-369?filter=allopenissues>)
or maybe in the/a backlog, like Federated queries, RDF4J, SPARQL Web GUI
(Zookeeper).
This must be shown on the overview then as well (imho).

I'm getting more into Rya each day (reading, installing and exploring) and
hope to contribute to it.
Still a lot to learn, so I hope you don't mind me barging in this way.

The compliancy regard the folllowing topics:

SPARQL 1.1 Language
SPARQL 1.1 Protocol for RDF
SPARQL 1.1 Query result format JSON, CSV, TSV, ...
SPARQL 1.1 Federated Query
SPARQL 1.1 Service Description
SPARQL 1.1 Graph Store HTTP Protocol

Some other questions

   - Can Rya handle combined queries (Full text search, spatial)?
   - Is RYA compliant to the the OGC GeoSPARQL standard
   <http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/geosparql>?
   - Is it possible to set query timeout and max request body size?
   - Can long running queries be killed without killing the session?
   - Is the SPARQL endpoint/CLI accesible with other web interfaces like
   YASGUI?

Regards,
Erik

Re: Checklist

Posted by Erik Bijsterbosch <e....@gmail.com>.
Hi Aaron,

Great. Thank you!

Maybe others can fill in the gaps you mentioned, e.g. specs on the SPARQL
endpoint.
I'll ask Laurens (member of our team) if he can check the possibilities for
porting YASGUI to it.

Regards,
Erik

Re: Checklist

Posted by "Aaron D. Mihalik" <aa...@gmail.com>.
Hey Erik,

I'm sorry for the late (and somewhat incomplete) reply.

> SPARQL 1.1

We rely on OpenRDF (now RDF4J) to handle all of the SPARQL parsing and
evaluation and Rya has specialized handlers for different backends like
Mongo and Accumulo.  Rya 3.2.11 uses OpenRDF 2.7.6 and this version did not
have complete SPARQL 1.1 coverage.  I cannot find a table showing the
coverage.

However, as mentioned before, there's a PR out to upgrade to the latest
RDF4J that  "fully supports the SPARQL 1.1 query and update language" [1]

> Can Rya handle combined queries (Full text search, spatial)?

Yep.  Here's a query with Geo, Temporal, and Free text all mixed together
[2]. (Thanks DLotts!)

> Is RYA compliant to the the OGC GeoSPARQL standard
   <http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/geosparql>?

Yes, to a degree and dependent on the backend that you choose.  Rya is able
to recognize a number of the GeoSPARQL Functions and have the underlying
store execute those functions.

To give you an idea of which functions are pushed to the stores, the
interface for the stores is defined here [3].  And the list of GeoSPARQL
Functions are here [4].

> Is it possible to set query timeout and max request body size?
> Can long running queries be killed without killing the session?

The Rya rest service has a hardcoded query timeout value [5] and it kills
the session.

> Is the SPARQL endpoint/CLI accesible with other web interfaces like
YASGUI?

YASGUI is awesome!  I didn't know about that tool.  I glanced at the Yasgui
paper [6], but I'm not sure how it communicates to the SPARQL endpoints so
I can't give you an answer right now.  Rya does have a rest endpoint, but
it doesn't conform to a standard that I know of.

--Aaron

[1] http://rdf4j.org/about/

[2]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-rya/blob/master/extras/rya.geoindexing/geo.geomesa/src/main/java/org/apache/rya/indexing/geoExamples/RyaGeoDirectExample.java#L264