Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2013/01/29 17:13:51 UTC

Help wanted: Review the runbook

Hi folks,

I'd like to ask for some help.
Many months back I wrote a runbook for CloudStack 3.0.2, which seemed
to work pretty well. I had a number of folks assist with that, but the
long and short of it is that as time marched on it fell into a bit of
disrepair. I spent Monday afternoon/night on a 10 hour flight with no
internet connectivity, and spent some time updating this document for
4.0.x, and have a first draft of this here:

The help I am seeking:
I want folks to use this runbook as literally as possible to deploy a
CloudStack instance. Literally copy-pasting commands, config file
content, etc. There could be typos, improper commands, etc. Please
help me find them. My goal is to have a single guaranteed path to
success for someone new to Apache CloudStack. Obviously that means
following the directions religiously. So how to send feedback - well
you can reply to this thread, you can file bugs in Jira, or you can
submit patches to fix problems.

The runbook is currently at:
http://people.apache.org/~ke4qqq/runbook

Thanks for your help!,

--David

Re: Help wanted: Review the runbook

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 30.01.2013 04:16, David Nalley wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> wrote:
>> On 29.01.2013 22:00, David Nalley wrote:
>>>
>>> Sure - would you like to draft some text up for that?
>>

>> Sure, after Fosdem I'll try to go through my past emails and memories
>> and
>> create a list with all the facepalms I've given myself re cloudstack.
>>

> If you are at FOSDEM, lets make sure to meet up. IIRC, Sebastien,
> Hugo, Wido, and others are also planning to be at FOSDEM. Perhaps we
> should define a time for any CloudStack folks to meetup.

Sure!

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: Help wanted: Review the runbook

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> wrote:
> On 29.01.2013 22:00, David Nalley wrote:
>>
>> Sure - would you like to draft some text up for that?
>

> Sure, after Fosdem I'll try to go through my past emails and memories and
> create a list with all the facepalms I've given myself re cloudstack.

If you are at FOSDEM, lets make sure to meet up. IIRC, Sebastien,
Hugo, Wido, and others are also planning to be at FOSDEM. Perhaps we
should define a time for any CloudStack folks to meetup.

>> There is a default CentOS 5.5 template that gets automagically
>> downloaded by CloudStack once the SSVM comes up. That would probably
>> be the easiest starting point.
>

> Yep, noticed it! How does one log into it? Had to reboot it in single user
> and reset the root password.

username: root
password: password

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 29.01.2013 22:00, David Nalley wrote:
> Sure - would you like to draft some text up for that?

Sure, after Fosdem I'll try to go through my past emails and memories
and create a list with all the facepalms I've given myself re
cloudstack.

> There is a default CentOS 5.5 template that gets automagically
> downloaded by CloudStack once the SSVM comes up. That would probably
> be the easiest starting point.

Yep, noticed it! How does one log into it? Had to reboot it in single
user and reset the root password.

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: Help wanted: Review the runbook

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Mathias Mullins
<ma...@citrix.com> wrote:
>>Is "Run Book" really the right title? I guess when I started reading it as
>>a "run book" I was thinking about daily operations and supportability of
>>the setup, care and feeding and running it. (Something I'm trying to
>>write) This honestly seems to be more of a Quick Start Guide. I think the
>>Quick Start Guide would be great for specific hypervisors, and run book
>>type document would be generic functionality across CS as a whole.
>>
>>What do you think? Is there room for both?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Matt

Perhaps it is an ill-fitting title. I am open to new titles. IIRC, at
the time I initially wrote the runbook a Quick Start Guide existed. (I
'think' I wrote the initial copy of that as well, back in February of
2011, tho folks came along after me and continued to improve it - and
honestly I did it 'wrong' in that instance. I provided fewer options,
but not no options and while it was less confusing it wasn't perfect.)

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Since this run book is fedora/KVM, it would make sense to do a ubuntu/XCP one.
>> I started a page to do an outline:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/ubuntu-quick-start-guide
>
> It's really CentOS KVM, but yep - an Ubuntu edition would be nice,
> hopefully lots can be reused.

I just pushed current source to a branch called 'runbook' - feel free
to hack on it, or copy it for a Ubuntu/XCP/Xenserver edition.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
David,

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Outback Dingo <ou...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:17 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> wrote:
>> On 29.01.2013 18:09, David Nalley wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Nux:
>>>
>>> It is designed to be all on a single machine - this section is where
>>> NFS is configured on the same machine.
>>> What led you to believe that it was a separate machine?
>>>
>>> --David
>>

>> David,
>>
>> The fact that you mounted the share is confusing, rather than just using "-m
>> /secondary", or at least use "mount 127.0.0.1".
>>
>> Lucian
>

> That's good feedback - I likely copied the process from the original
> 2.2.x install guide, which might have assumed a separate NFS server.
> That will cut down on at least one step, and perhaps a bit of confusion. Thanks!
>
> --David

Committed a change for that with this commit:

commit a9fb99a14ca77d715f5ef4754a9db391f276f2ec
Author: David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Date:   Tue Jan 29 13:22:04 2013 -0500

    Removing the separate mount command to simplify template
installation - thanks to Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> for the suggestion

And updated my people.a.o site with the new content.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> wrote:
> On 29.01.2013 18:51, David Nalley wrote:
>>
>> Good catch - I fixed this in the main Install guide as well and
>> republished the runbook to people.a.o.
>

> Thanks David,
>
> Now I may have caught a bug, not really the document's fault: this is how my
> web interface looks like:
> http://img.nux.ro/h9H-cloudstack_missingmenutext.png
>
> Looks familiar? Any quick work around for it?
> We should also make a web page for known bugs and quick solutions.

That is a bug - I've not seen it before.
Is this from the repos listed in the document?

Brian: What would cause what Nux is seeing in the screenshot above?

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
> Couple of small typos:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~ke4qqq/runbook/sect-Runbook-KVM-Installation.html
> s/service libvirt restart/service libvirtd restart

I actually decided to remove this - we restart libvirt below as well -
no need to do it twice IMO - and it reduces the number of steps.

> http://people.apache.org/~ke4qqq/runbook/sect-Runbook-KVM-Installation.html
> s/tcp_port = 16059/tcp_port = "16059" (yeah, missing quotes freaks out
> libvirtd)

Good catch - I fixed this in the main Install guide as well and
republished the runbook to people.a.o.

commit 5582a30b6ad60de5cc7c0d61a60925c9efb6dab4
Author: David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Date:   Tue Jan 29 13:45:23 2013 -0500

    Fixing a config file typo (thanks to  Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> for
finding it) and removing a libvirtd restart

commit 74efaada271879b62b0317ebb3b0c76a995c8ece
Author: David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Date:   Tue Jan 29 13:50:11 2013 -0500

    Missing quotes in libvirt configuration instructions. Thanks to
Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> for finding the issue

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 29.01.2013 16:13, David Nalley wrote:
> So how to send feedback - well
> you can reply to this thread, you can file bugs in Jira, or you can
> submit patches to fix problems.

Couple of small typos:

http://people.apache.org/~ke4qqq/runbook/sect-Runbook-KVM-Installation.html
s/service libvirt restart/service libvirtd restart

http://people.apache.org/~ke4qqq/runbook/sect-Runbook-KVM-Installation.html
s/tcp_port = 16059/tcp_port = "16059" (yeah, missing quotes freaks out
libvirtd)

Regards,

Lucian

Nux!