Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com> on 2015/07/29 20:15:35 UTC

trafodion.org domain/servers

Agree with what Hans said about the sandbox. Changing topics now, related to
the downloads page Hans mentioned.
As a Apache (incubating) project, we won't be distributing binaries, and so
the downloads page needs to go away, or at least migrate to downstream
vendors.

Likewise, the entire trafodion.org domain is part of the trademarks being
transferred to ASF. So, we need to clean up the disposition of all the
related sites/servers using that domain.

I looked through the DNS records, and I think things fall into 3 buckets.

1) Servers that are already obsolete and no longer used. (e.g., review.t.o,
zuul.t.o)

2) Sites replaced by Apache resources, and can go away after content is
migrated. (e.g., wiki.t.o) Though a redirect would be nice to keep in place
for some time.

3) Things that move to downstream vendors (binary downloads) or are
development resources donated to the community by vendors (daily build
convenience binaries, test environment). Migrating everything to ASF Jenkins
environment is a big project. Currently, the cloud resources to run the
project automated testing is donated by vendor where many of the
contributors work (previously paid for by HP, now paid for by Esgyn).  My
thinking is that these would move to esgyn.com domain, unless ASF enables it
to remain as trafodion.org. Either way, they'll be resources providing
service to development community.

I'm taking my cue from Apache Spark who has QA infrastructure hosted by
Berkeley:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPARK/Spark+QA+Infrastructure

Anybody familiar with this situation? Am I going down right path?

--Steve

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com> wrote:
> Agree with what Hans said about the sandbox. Changing topics now, related to
> the downloads page Hans mentioned.
> As a Apache (incubating) project, we won't be distributing binaries,

I don't know what gave you that impressions, but you can distribute
binary convenience artifacts IN ADDITION to your source releases
just fine. A lot of projects do that. Of course, for a C/C++ project it
get more complex, but doable.

> Likewise, the entire trafodion.org domain is part of the trademarks being
> transferred to ASF. So, we need to clean up the disposition of all the
> related sites/servers using that domain.
>
> I looked through the DNS records, and I think things fall into 3 buckets.
>
> 1) Servers that are already obsolete and no longer used. (e.g., review.t.o,
> zuul.t.o)
>
> 2) Sites replaced by Apache resources, and can go away after content is
> migrated. (e.g., wiki.t.o) Though a redirect would be nice to keep in place
> for some time.
>
> 3) Things that move to downstream vendors (binary downloads) or are
> development resources donated to the community by vendors (daily build
> convenience binaries, test environment). Migrating everything to ASF Jenkins
> environment is a big project. Currently, the cloud resources to run the
> project automated testing is donated by vendor where many of the
> contributors work (previously paid for by HP, now paid for by Esgyn).  My
> thinking is that these would move to esgyn.com domain, unless ASF enables it
> to remain as trafodion.org. Either way, they'll be resources providing
> service to development community.
>
> I'm taking my cue from Apache Spark who has QA infrastructure hosted by
> Berkeley:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPARK/Spark+QA+Infrastructure
>
> Anybody familiar with this situation? Am I going down right path?

It makes sense (aside from the point I made above). Feel free to reach out to
me  for advice on DNS transfer issues. I'm doing that for Geode right now.

Thanks,
Roman.