Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Kimberly Nicholls <kn...@liveworld.com> on 2007/09/17 21:35:52 UTC

logging service requests

I am having trouble understanding how to log requests to my services in
Axis2, specifically how to pass information between the phases.  I'd
like to log the client IP address, the response size, the name of the
method being invoked, and (ideally) the parameter values they're using
(ie method signature).

I followed the example on creating a logging module, but I found that
the client IP is only available from the in context; in the out context
it's null.  I tried writing two handlers, one for the inflow (get the
client IP) and one for the outflow (get the SOAP action and response
size, log the info).  But how I can pass information between the inflow
and outflow contexts?

I saw this: http://marc.info/?l=axis-user&m=116967807112741&w=2, which
says "set the incoming IP address on a
InheritableThreadLocal variable to have access to it throughout your
application," but I don't understand what that means. Where do I define
the InheritableThreadLocal variable? How do I access it?

Thanks for you help,
Kimberly Nicholls

Re: logging service requests

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
> I am having trouble understanding how to log requests to my services
> in Axis2, specifically how to pass information between the phases.
> I'd like to log the client IP address, the response size, the name of
> the method being invoked, and (ideally) the parameter values they're
> using (ie method signature).
>
> I followed the example on creating a logging module, but I found that
> the client IP is only available from the in context; in the out
> context it's null.
In the out path , for the operationcontext you can get the incoming
message context and from that you can get the property you are looking for.
>   I tried writing two handlers, one for the inflow (get the client IP)
> and one for the outflow (get the SOAP action and response size, log
> the info).  But how I can pass information between the inflow and
> outflow contexts?
http://wso2.org/library/2084

Thanks
Deepal