Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Abraham Elmahrek <ab...@cloudera.com> on 2015/01/13 22:47:13 UTC

InterfaceStability and InterfaceAudience stability

Hey guys,

I've noticed the InterfaceStability (
https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-annotations/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/classification/InterfaceStability.java)
and InterfaceAudience (
https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-annotations/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/classification/InterfaceAudience.java)
classes are marked as "Evolving". These really haven't changed much in the
last few years, so I was wondering if it is reasonable to mark them as
stable?

-Abe

Re: InterfaceStability and InterfaceAudience stability

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.
Change from Private to Contract might not be an issue. Change from Public
to Contract might be incompatible behavior irrespective of whether
InterfaceAudience is evolving or stable.

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 12:01 AM, Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com> wrote:

>         It may work fine from a code perspective, but from a semantic
> and/or human perspective, I think it’d be confusing and could lead to
> problems down the road.  Let’s say we add Contract after making this
> Stable.  If we change any Private’s to Contracts as a result, is that a
> break?
>

> On Jan 15, 2015, at 11:27 AM, Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Would it really be backwards-incompatible if we added new levels later?
> > That seems counter-intuitive and contrary to this piece of documentation:
> >
> > http://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se7/html/jls-13.html#jls-13.5.7
> >
> > Quoting:
> >
> > Annotation types behave exactly like any other interface. Adding or
> > removing an element from an annotation type is analogous to adding or
> > removing a method. There are important considerations governing other
> > changes to annotation types, but these have no effect on the linkage of
> > binaries by the Java Virtual Machine. Rather, such changes affect the
> > behavior of reflective APIs that manipulate annotations. The
> documentation
> > of these APIs specifies their behavior when various changes are made to
> the
> > underlying annotation types.
> >
> > Adding or removing annotations has no effect on the correct linkage of
> the
> > binary representations of programs in the Java programming language.
> >
> > Certainly removing existing levels would be backwards-incompatible.
> >
> > Chris Nauroth
> > Hortonworks
> > http://hortonworks.com/
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 6:14 AM, Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>
> wrote:
> >

> >>        IIRC, it was marked as evolving because it wasn’t clear at the
> >> time whether we would need to add more stability levels. (One of the key
> >> inspirations for the stability levels—Sun’s ARC process—had more.)
> >>
> >>        So I think it’s important to remember that if this gets changed
> >> stable, that effectively means it  new levels can’t really get added...

> >> marked

> https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-annotations/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/classification/InterfaceStability.java
> >>>>>

> https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-annotations/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/classification/InterfaceAudience.java
> in
> as

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

Karthik Kambatla
Software Engineer, Cloudera Inc.
http://five.sentenc.es

Re: InterfaceStability and InterfaceAudience stability

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.

Posted by Abraham Elmahrek <ab...@cloudera.com>.
Agreed. Any one interested in reviewing/committing
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-11476?

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: InterfaceStability and InterfaceAudience stability

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.
	IIRC, it was marked as evolving because it wasn’t clear at the time whether we would need to add more stability levels. (One of the key inspirations for the stability levels—Sun’s ARC process—had more.)

	So I think it’s important to remember that if this gets changed to stable, that effectively means it  new levels can’t really get added...

Posted by Abraham Elmahrek <ab...@cloudera.com>.
Patch attached. I'm not sure what is necessary for changing the stability
of class. Please review.

Posted by Abraham Elmahrek <ab...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.
+1