Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org> on 2010/01/25 05:58:17 UTC

Re: [sa] Re: Administrator@willspc.net bounces

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> why did the bounce not go to apache.org ?, or did it, but apache.org did not
> see the problem in maillist ?

Because we have a caching server accepting the mail, and then when it
*finally* decides the client is not going to retrieve the mail, it
generates a bounce using the visible From header. To misquote a line from
E.E. (Doc) Smith, "I could have eaten a hand full of iron filings and
*puked* a better mail server than that."

> not even the bounce email exists on the mta, so it will be bounce for
> anything sent to this domain, why did thay not remove that sucking domain
> from dns ? :)

I blocked these in my firewall, so I can't tell how old the mail is being
currently 'returned', but when I was getting them they were for mail that
was VERY old, like the MTA was giving up on the mail after a specific
amount of time (like a month or more). This is the reason I opted for a
firewall solution. That MTA was going to be doing this a long time.

:(

- C