Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by nazarhussain_s <na...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/30 09:12:36 UTC

Issues in a page having multiple forms in tapestry 4

Hi ,
         Currently I am using Tapestry 4 and I have a EditDetails page
wherein I have two forms, One having all details related to data fields and
another form having an Upload Document Component. If I upload a document in
the second form and click on add document button,the doc gets added and gets
shown in the page  but the values entered in the first form are getting
cleared or resetted. If I include the UploadDocument component in the same
form then I am getting page not found error If I click on submit button once
I add the document in the UploadDocument component.

Regards
Nazar

Re: Issues in a page having multiple forms in tapestry 4

Posted by nazarhussain_s <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Howard,
            Can you please advise me on how to configure tapestry to accept
large sized requests . Currently im using Tapestry 4.0. In which file do I
need to change the settings so as to resolve above issue.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
That's pretty darn ugly!

Tapestry places some tracking information into a hidden field when it
renders; it needs that data to figure out what to do when the form
submits.  It works fine for reasonably sized forms, but get into that
kind of range and you are hitting some limits.

It may be possible to configure Tapestry to allow a much larger limit
on the request.

I would suggest a very different architecture, where you have  menu
that identifies a reasonably sized subset of the possible 1100 options
and that renders a form for just those fields.  It's very hard to
discuss this in abstract terms since the problem is very much related
to your specific app, and your specific design.

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM, nazarhussain_s <na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Howard,
>           Previously we had a page wherein the data fields in one form were
> way too many around 100 to 1100 so while submitting the page we were getting
> the below exception so  can you please suggest what I need to change If I am
> to submit that many fields in Tapestry. Currently I am getting the below
> exception If  I club both forms and try to submit  the page.
>

> org.apache.hivemind.ApplicationRuntimeException: Unable to decode multipart
> encoded request: the request was rejected because it's size exceeds allowed
> range
> at
> org.apache.tapestry.multipart.MultipartDecoderImpl.decode(MultipartDecoderImpl.java:75)
> at $MultipartDecoder_12fe8ce0836.decode($MultipartDecoder_12fe8ce0836.java)
> at $MultipartDecoder_12fe8ce0837.decode($MultipartDecoder_12fe8ce0837.java)
> at
> org.apache.tapestry.multipart.MultipartDecoderFilter.service(MultipartDecoderFilter.java:50)
>
> Regards
> Nazar

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Issues in a page having multiple forms in tapestry 4

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
This is normal for forms (at least, w/o Ajax).  You upload a file, and
the response to the HTTP reaquest is a new rendering of the entire
page, so the data in the other form is lost.

Merge them into a single form if you want them to coordinate.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM, nazarhussain_s <na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>         Currently I am using Tapestry 4 and I have a EditDetails page
> wherein I have two forms, One having all details related to data fields and
> another form having an Upload Document Component. If I upload a document in
> the second form and click on add document button,the doc gets added and gets
> shown in the page  but the values entered in the first form are getting
> cleared or resetted. If I include the UploadDocument component in the same
> form then I am getting page not found error If I click on submit button once
> I add the document in the UploadDocument component.
>
> Regards
> Nazar

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry