Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Rahul Gupta <rg...@dekaresearch.com> on 2013/08/13 23:10:07 UTC

Recommendation for hosting multi tenant clusters

I am working on requirement to host multi tenant Cassandra cluster (or set of clusters) on Amazon EC2 (AWS).

With everything else sorted out, I have below question where I am looking for recommendations:

Does Amazon's recent support of EBS optimized images changes whole discussion around EBS vs. ephemeral drives and image size?

*         Option 1: reserved m1.xlarge (4x420GB drives) is $0.187/hr

*         Option 2: reserved m1.large EBS-optimized  is $0.119/hr (~$50/month less than m1.xlarge, but $168/month for 4x420 standard EBS volumes): costs $120/month more, but additional recovery options

Given Cassandra is designed to survive failures, combining replication factor 3 and backing-up to S3, I think should be enough for back up.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Rahul Gupta
DEKA Research & Development<http://www.dekaresearch.com/>
340 Commercial St  Manchester, NH  03101
P: 603.666.3908 extn. 6504 | C: 603.718.9676

This e-mail and the information, including any attachments, it contains are intended to be a confidential communication only to the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original message.

________________________________
This e-mail and the information, including any attachments, it contains are intended to be a confidential communication only to the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original message.

Thank you.

Re: Recommendation for hosting multi tenant clusters

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
I also saw somewhere (may have been twitter) that the reads they benchmark against for provisioned IOPS is something like 4KB or 8KB. It was something small, smaller than the page size memmapping will use anyway.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand