Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "J. Mark Brooks" <jm...@bigfoot.com> on 2000/09/04 01:31:04 UTC

Using servlets with Tomcat

I'm sure that this is a question that has been asked before and answered
somewhere, but I haven't had much luck finding it.

Using JSP with Tomcat (or most other servlet/JSP containers) isn't a
big problem, but I can't seem to figure out how to use servlets.
In other words, I would like to do something similar to what you
could do with Apache JServ, where you have a /servlet directory, and
you can simply place your servlet classes in the directory and run
them by using their name.

I've looked at the Tomcat example app, and it doesn't really help.
The servlet examples are accessed through an web page, and can't
seem to be called directly.

I'm sure that there is some configuration issue I've missed, but
any help would be appreciated.

--
---------------------------------------
J. Mark Brooks

Re: Using servlets with Tomcat

Posted by Dave Harms <jd...@clarionmag.com>.
> but the servlets themselves are in examples/servlet (no
> "s").

Of course I mean called via, not in...

Dave

Dave Harms
jdev@clarionmag.com

Re: Using servlets with Tomcat

Posted by Dave Harms <jd...@clarionmag.com>.
J.,

> I've looked at the Tomcat example app, and it doesn't really help.
> The servlet examples are accessed through an web page, and can't
> seem to be called directly.

They can - it's an unfortunate choice of directory names that makes
this confusing. The servlets example page is in the examples/servlets
directory, but the servlets themselves are in examples/servlet (no
"s").

Dave

Dave Harms
jdev@clarionmag.com