Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu> on 2017/10/19 17:18:07 UTC

VERSION.txt - what is it and can it be removed?

Hello all,

while looking into PR 124 I noticed, that VERSION.txt was excluded from
Rat and now I'm wondering whether or not that is a good idea.

There are validations, that ensure that a VERSION.txt is there, but no
usage of the files.

So are they garbage and can be removed or why do these exist?

Greetings

Matthias

Re: VERSION.txt - what is it and can it be removed?

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
>> Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>: 19.10.17 @ 19:18 <<
> Hello all,
>
> while looking into PR 124 I noticed, that VERSION.txt was excluded from
> Rat and now I'm wondering whether or not that is a good idea.
>
> There are validations, that ensure that a VERSION.txt is there, but no
> usage of the files.
>
> So are they garbage and can be removed or why do these exist?

I think version.txt is replacement for cluster numbers as designed by this
document: https://openide.netbeans.org/proposals/arch/clusters.html

Very ancient...
-jt