Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Courtney Robinson <sa...@live.co.uk> on 2011/01/12 02:27:40 UTC

CQL status

?Having been pointed to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-1704
I wanted to know what the state of that was.
Eric Evans said changes had been pushed to SVN, can I check out the latest
head and play with it?

Looking at the comments, if its not too late here's my 2cents.
For what it's worth I think CQL will be useful.

SELECT COL1,COL2 FROM CF WHERE ROWKEY=KEY1

In this semantics we can specify the columns we we're interested in.
Secondly allowing the predicate to specify a row key to start from...

SELECT COL1 TO COL20 FROM CF WHERE ROWKEY=KEY1 TO KEY1000

COL1 TO COL20 obviously specifies the range of columns we'd like back and
key1 to key1000 specifies our rows.

While I think CQL will be nice to have I agree with some of the points
brought up.
In the proposal there was ASC and DESC on the end of the query template,
assuming here that this implies being able to sort records.
I don't believe this would be beneficial since the already established ethos
is to have data sorted prior to querying for the obvious reason.

Being able to use an SQL like syntax should be a matter of convenience and
only where it will not force incompatibilities.

Re: CQL status

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@racklabs.com>.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@racklabs.com

Re: CQL status

Posted by Tristan Tarrant <tr...@gmail.com>.

Re: CQL status

Posted by Courtney Robinson <sa...@live.co.uk>.
wrote:
> ?Having been pointed to
> I wanted to know what the state of that was.
> Eric Evans said changes had been pushed to SVN, can I check out the latest
> head and play with it?

>Yes.

Checking out now to have a look.

> Looking at the comments, if its not too late here's my 2cents.

>These were both addressed in the 1704 design, by the time we were done
with it. :)

Looking through the rest of the posts on Jira now and saw :-)

> In the proposal there was ASC and DESC on the end of the query template,
> assuming here that this implies being able to sort records.

>There is ASC and DESC but not ORDER BY, so it is only taking advantage
of the "natural" sort order.

Makes sense

> Being able to use an SQL like syntax should be a matter of convenience and
> only where it will not force incompatibilities.

>Correct.

:)

Re: CQL status

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Courtney Robinson <sa...@live.co.uk> wrote:
> ?Having been pointed to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-1704
> I wanted to know what the state of that was.
> Eric Evans said changes had been pushed to SVN, can I check out the latest
> head and play with it?

Yes.