Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2009/12/12 21:11:10 UTC

0.2.0 release comments

First off congratulations on a successful release!  I know
it's been a long time coming, and people worked hard to make
it reality.  Way to go.

The main thing to do at this point: let people know what you've done.
Fix the dowload page on the website so it points at the mirrored
release (and only the release), make an announcement email and send it to

  thrift-user@incubator.apache.org
  announce@incubator.apache.org
  announce@apache.org (why not?- be sure to use your apache address
                       in the From hdr)

Probably should include the incubator disclaimer in the message.

Some things to do for future releases: Todd should try to document
everything he has done and add that info to trunk/RELEASE so other
RM's know the process (and may be able to improve upon it).  People
who vote on a release should provide details on what went into their
vote, as a means of educating one another on the meaning of one's vote.
And decisions like whether to release from a branch or from trunk
should be made on the dev@ list.  It is important to keep in mind that
the dev@ list is where all project decisions (other than personnel
issues) need to be made.  If it didn't happen here, it didn't happen.

Best of luck in the future.  Once the download page is addressed I'll
be able to back off on the push to release, and ask that you continue
to educate your community that subversion is for development,
not end-user distribution (someone should tell the python maintainer
that you've got a release now, and to use that instead of svn, and maybe
mention to them that the version is 0.2.0 not 1.0).

Know that I've gotten to know some of you a bit, I would like to suggest
that sometime in early-mid January you start a discussion about your
graduation plans: if you wish to complete incubation, do you go TLP
or graduate into a subproject of Lucene or Hadoop?  I will continue reading
this list to see what you eventually decide to do, and answer any other
questions you may have about Apache policy (apparently I'm part of a
small minority of people on the IPMC that actually knows the rationale
behind things, so don't hesitate to ask here if there's something you
don't understand).

Re: 0.2.0 release comments

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.