Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2016/02/03 16:01:26 UTC

Talk proposal for ApacheCon - any comments?

Hello all

Bellow is an abstract proposal for ApacheCon. Is there any comment?

Geospatial Track - Hiding some of geospatial complexity

Submission type: presentation

Category: developer

Abstract: Apache Spatial Information System (SIS) is a Java library
providing low-level services for applications that manipulate geospatial
data. The geographic metadata model (based on ISO 19115) and the
coordinate transformation services (based on ISO 19111) were presented
in the ApacheCon 2014. Recent developments in the international
standards that drive SIS model were presented in ApacheCon Europe 2015.
It is tempting to ignore the complexity of those standards on the
assumption that everyone today use coordinates given by GPS. But even
though obsolescent, the NAD27 datum for instance still is in use — it is
critically important in the U.S. where it has been used for definitions
of many legal boundaries. Even on modern datum, support of polar areas
or supplemental dimensions can be challenging. In this talk, we will
present a few key methods from the Apache SIS library that handle a lot
of this complexity: how to get a Coordinate Reference System from a
simple string, how to transform coordinates with an estimation of the
operation accuracy, how to transform a cube while taking in account the
curvatures, through an API that can be understood without diving too
deeply in the complexity of GIS. We will show an example of what happen
under the hood during a cube transformation, for demonstrating what the
developers gain with those simple API calls. Finally, we will present a
command-line tool and an OpenOffice add-in for Calc that peoples can use
for trying Apache SIS without programming.

Who the audience is: The target audiences are developers of desktop, web
or big data applications who need to handle geospatial coordinates and
metadata. This presentation aims to help those developers to evaluate
the advantages of using a library like Apache SIS for geospatial
operations instead than developing custom methods.

How the presentation may help Apache and open source ecosystem: Some big
data libraries are implementing their own routines for performing map
projections or other geospatial operations, with different levels of
familiarity with international standards or pitfalls awareness. This
presentation aims to increase awareness about a way to delegate some
tasks to a project dedicated to implementations of Open Geospatial
Consortium (OGC) standards.

Experience level: any

Re: Talk proposal for ApacheCon - any comments?

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Thank Georges and Adam. I will wait until Monday in case there is other
comment, then I will submit the talk proposal.

    Martin

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.