Posted to docs@cocoon.apache.org by st...@outerthought.org on 2004/01/26 18:00:07 UTC

[WIKI-UPDATE] CocoonPerformance CocoonPerformanceResults_Scenario1 SandBox CocoonPerformanceResults_Scenario2 CocoonPerformanceResults Mon Jan 26 18:00:07 2004

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonPerformance , version: 9 on Mon Jan 26 17:16:03 2004 by 80.84.0.34

+ \\
+ See also: [CocoonPerformanceResults] for results/graphs of an exemplary stress testing

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonPerformanceResults_Scenario1 , version: 3 on Mon Jan 26 16:56:12 2004 by 80.84.0.34

-
+
+ \\
+ \\
+ \\
+ __Note__: The sharp bend in the curves below is not an error, it was caused because I ran out of disk space for the log files :-(
+
+

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=SandBox , version: 216 on Mon Jan 26 16:02:40 2004 by 217.210.23.10

- Play here until you are confident, it is easy.
?                                  ^

+ Play here until you are confident; it is easy.
?                                  ^

- Dirty links usually don't live long here.
- ----
- __Hello.__
- ----
+ Dirty links usually don't live long here..
+
+ tralala
+
+ !heading
+
+ !!another one
+ !!!yet another one
+ jj
+
+ __Hello!
+
+
+ Da derp de derp a teelelly derp de dum
+ --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+ This whole cocoon thing is a tragic example of a gigantic edifice achieving nothing
+ ......Tower of Babel anyone?
+
+ I came here because I had a simple aim: to write Excel from Java....
+ I quickly found HSSF which is in POI (why?) so I downloaded the POI bloat....
+ HSSF may even work.. over on the HSSF page they have departed, leaving a message
+ saying they have moved to Cocoon. This is a calamity.....
+ Arriving at cocoon you can easily spend an hour wallowing in the
+ crud, until you realise that its all XML, there is no Java to Excel......
+ well XML may be very nice, (DLL and COM objects sounded nice when you first heard about them)
+ But my reaction to the cocoon blathering site(s) is to retch and depart
+
+ [and this wiki stuff is Less useful than a newsgroup and more bloated,
+ requires me to learn a whole new suite of crapola, .... no thanks
+
+ the sole simple example I have seen so far for HSSF  so absurd as to make me weep...
+ the chap actually gives each row a separate new variable, and leaves the write to the end
+ Hasnt he heard of buffered output? ...
+ 30 years ago anyone could have told him, ...
+ write a row at a time knucklehead...
+
+ I am still reeling from the shocks this whole experience has dealt me
+

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonPerformanceResults_Scenario2 , version: 1 on Mon Jan 26 17:10:39 2004 by 80.84.0.34

New page created:
+ This test resembles some typical user activity. The curve has therefore some peaks as well as times of low activity. To increase the overall load on the server the log file was replayed at a higher speed than it was recorded.
+
+
+

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonPerformanceResults , version: 1 on Mon Jan 26 16:23:56 2004 by 80.84.0.34

New page created:
+ !! Sample stress test results
+
+ System configuration used for testing:
+ * Sun Fire V-480 (2x 900MHz, 4GB RAM), SunOS 5.8
+ * JDK 1.4.2_03-b02, Jetty 4.2.12, Cocoon-2.1.3 (with Xalan as XSLT processor)
+
+ Java options:
+ * "-server -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms2536M -Xmx2536M -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+UseAdaptive SizePolicy -DisableExplicitGC"
+
+ Basic Cocoon settings:
+ * ''maxobjects'' (cocoon.xconf) set to 20000
+ * ''use-store'' attribute of the XSLT processor set to true (cocoon.xconf)
+ * store-janitor's ''heapsize'' set to 80000000, ''freememory'' set to 20000000 (cocoon.xconf)
+ * ''check-includes'' set to false (sitemap.xmap)
+ * all pool-sizes of often used components increased (''pool-max''="256" or "512")
+
+ Test-tool:
+ * Siege 2.56 (for requesting defined URLs with a configurable number of concurrent users over a specified time or up to a number of maximum requests)
+ * custom tool for replaying log files
+
+
+ ----
+
+ ! Scenario 1 (40/80/160 concurrent users, 10 different URLs)
+
+ Look [here|CocoonPerformanceResults_Scenario1] for the results and accompanying graph.
+
+ ----
+
+ ! Scenario 2 (replay of a typical one-day log of user activity)
+
+ Look [here|CocoonPerformanceResults_Scenario2] for the results and accompanying graph.
+
+