Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Roy Wilson <de...@bellatlantic.net> on 2000/11/11 23:26:54 UTC

Assessing the performance impact of the proposed webpage

Hi,

Here's a little performance calculation, which I do because: (1) I think
it's better than nothing for assessing the possible impact of the new
page and (2) it's fun (for me).

If there are 2 million hits a day, that means 2,000,000 / 1440 = 138.89
hits per second. Suppose z% of the traffic is for the old/new page, that
it takes D0 secs of cpu time to process the old page and D1 secs on the
average to process the new. Let D1-D0 = delta. Then the additional CPU
utilization due to using the new page is

U(delta) = delta * 138.89 * z / 100.

For laughs, suppose delta = 0.005 and z = 40. Then U(delta) =  0.005 *
55.556 = 0.28
so this means that 28% additional CPU time is being consumed. The delta
is made up: if you don't like it, pick your own or do a measurement :-).

What does this mean? Suppose with the old page the cpu is busy 60% of the
time, processing all traffic. With the new page, it will be busy 88% of
the time.  If driving the CPU utilization this high doesn't bother you,
consider the effect on average CPU response time.

Simplistically, R = S / (1 - U), where R is average response time and S
is average service time. Now let S0 be the average CPU service time for a
request with the old page on the site and S1 when the new page is on the
site. U0 = 0.60, U1 = 0.88, so R0 = S0 * 2.5 and R1 = 8.33 * S1. So, if
the CPU is busy 60% of the time with the old page, using the new page
(with the off the wall assumptions I've made) cause the CPU part of
response time to increase by a factor of between 3 and 4!

For what it's worth, a lot of computing systems have been designed using
these kinds of calculations: maybe that's why they're sometimes called
"back of the envelope calculations".

I enjoyed this. I hope you did too. It might even be useful in the
future.

Roy
--
Roy Wilson
E-mail: designrw@bellatlantic.net

On 11/11/00, 2:45:09 PM, Nick Bauman <ni...@cortexity.com> wrote regarding
Re: [OPINION] - New Jakarta Website:

Whoops! Ignore previous message: Read this instead!

Posted by Roy Wilson <de...@bellatlantic.net>.

On 11/11/00, 5:26:54 PM, Roy Wilson <de...@bellatlantic.net> wrote
regarding Assessing the performance impact of the proposed webpage: