Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by jhaddad <jh...@bluenotenetworks.com> on 2006/07/25 16:27:25 UTC

Topic Messages being held in VMTopicMessageStore

We've recently switched from jboss-mq to activemq.  We're using version 3.2
in a JBoss 4/Tomcat 5 container.  The application creates 1 topic and 1
queue.  Remote clients send messages to our server via the queue and all
messages sent from the sever to the remote clients go through the topic.
We've config'd activemq to use VM persistence.

The problem:  Recently we started seeing OutOfMemoryErrors.  I'm sure this
isn't a leak, but probably a configuration issue, or something like that.
Using YourKit to profile memory usage, I see that the VMTopicMessageStore
seems to be holding on to all (or at least a lot of the) messages sent.
After a 15 hour run, it's internal message table is up 32K messages.  And
that is with a relatively low message throughput (about 70 message
s/minute).  The one thing I tried was to set the delivery mode to
NON_PERSISTENT on the producer, but that didn't seem to make a difference.
We do not have any durable subscriptions.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Re: Topic Messages being held in VMTopicMessageStore

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
I'd recommend you upgrade to 4.0.1. 3.2 is pretty old.

On 7/25/06, jhaddad <jh...@bluenotenetworks.com> wrote:

> We've recently switched from jboss-mq to activemq.  We're using version 3.2
> in a JBoss 4/Tomcat 5 container.  The application creates 1 topic and 1
> queue.  Remote clients send messages to our server via the queue and all
> messages sent from the sever to the remote clients go through the topic.
> We've config'd activemq to use VM persistence.
>
> The problem:  Recently we started seeing OutOfMemoryErrors.  I'm sure this
> isn't a leak, but probably a configuration issue, or something like that.
> Using YourKit to profile memory usage, I see that the VMTopicMessageStore
> seems to be holding on to all (or at least a lot of the) messages sent.
> After a 15 hour run, it's internal message table is up 32K messages.  And
> that is with a relatively low message throughput (about 70 message
> s/minute).  The one thing I tried was to set the delivery mode to
> NON_PERSISTENT on the producer, but that didn't seem to make a difference.
> We do not have any durable subscriptions.
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/