Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Bill Haneman <Bi...@Sun.COM> on 2001/03/09 19:18:46 UTC

Re: Does/can Batik import SVG and Export EPS?

Jocob wrote:

>Hello,
>
>      Just want to know if svg can be imported into SVG and then
>
>Exported into EPS.

Jacob:

This is related to the recent discussion regardin PDF.
EPS is another target format that would be the job of
an EPSRenderer module; that is, the way to do this, which
no one has yet implemented ;-) is to write a module
that implements the Renderer and TextPainter interfaces
from the org.apache.batik.gvt.renderer package.
Most of the work is in implementing java2d's Graphics2D
interface (which is part of the definition of a
Renderer implementation).  Once you implement
Graphics2D for EPS you just wrap it in a few
more lines of code to make a Renderer.  The
TextPainter interface is a little bit more work
but not too daunting... and then you have it.

In case you are wondering, a Graphics2D interface
implementation on EPS is quite feasible, it has been
done before (but unfortunately I don't think that code
is publicly available for reuse) and didn't look too
big.  If you are on linux you can get regular postscript
output from Batik already by using the Print command
(though at the moment the output might be rasterized, I
am not sure - eventually the postscript printer output
will be unrasterized whenever possible, that is, when filters
and images, etc. are not used).

Best regards,

Bill

------