Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Vinay Pothnis <po...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/19 19:11:02 UTC

clarification on index-to-ram ratio

Hello All,

The documentation and general feedback on the mailing list suggest the
following:

*"... Let's say that you have a Solr index size of 8GB. If your OS, Solr's
Java heap, and all other running programs require 4GB of memory, then
an ideal memory size for that server is at least 12GB ..."*

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems#General_information

So, when we say "index size" does it include ALL the replicas or just one
of the replica? Say for example, if the solr instance had 2 replicas each
of size 8GB, should we consider 16GB as our index size or just 8GB - for
the above index-ram-ratio consideration?

Thanks
Vinay

Re: clarification on index-to-ram ratio

Posted by Vinay Pothnis <po...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!
And yes, the replica belongs to a different shard - not the same data.

-Vinay

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.