Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/26 04:11:48 UTC

Lucene website - benchmarks page

This are very old and not very useful anymore. Should we pull this page?
Its kind of an embarrassment if we don't actually maintain it to be
remotely current. These all with Lucene 1.2, 1.3 ...

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: Lucene website - benchmarks page

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
+1

Mike

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : Prob want to run it on decent hardware as well (eg mabye I shouldn't do
> : it with my 5200 rpm laptop drives).
>
> as long as both are run on the same hardware, and the page lists the
> hardware, it's the relative numbers that matter the most.
>

> -Hoss

Agreed to a degree - people like and read off raw numbers though. I like
to show Lucene in the best light possible (or least avg light - trust me
- these drives are so poky - basically I was just trying to get someone
else with normal hardware to do it).

And in the guessing my butt off space - perhaps 2.9 takes advantage of
faster hardware better than 2.4 did.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Noone had touched that page for many years :) Thats why I removed it.

If we add it back though, thats a great thought - we should mention it
and how to do a standard run.

Though if we use it to compare 2.4 to 2.9, the mentioning part goes
without saying.

- Mark

Posted by Matthew Hall <mh...@informatics.jax.org>.

Mark Miller wrote:
> We have it - its the benchmark contrib - just run the mirco or standard
> benchmark alg.
>
> Matthew Hall wrote:
>
>> Sorry to interject, but I think that the most useful thing that could
>> be done to this page would be the creation of a standard benchmark
>> test suite that someone could simply download and run on own systems.
>>
>> That way the benchmarking numbers for all users could be easily
>> compared between boxes etc... etc.
>>
>> Perhaps a simple modification of the lucene demo that includes some
>> sort of .. largish data source to index, and then a configured number
>> of searches run against that corpus with known parameters?  (yes you
>> could in fact go alot further than this, but I figure its a start)
>>
>> All users would have to do is download the somewhat large tar, and
>> then run some sort of test harness script that was included, and then
>> post their results.
>>
>> I'm sure its not feasible to do something like this with the current
>> release schedule, but I think it would be nice to have.
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> Chris Hostetter wrote:
>>
>>> : Prob want to run it on decent hardware as well (eg mabye I
>>> shouldn't do
>>> : it with my 5200 rpm laptop drives).
>>>
>>> as long as both are run on the same hardware, and the page lists the
>>> hardware, it's the relative numbers that matter the most.
>>>

>>> -Hoss

Matthew Hall
Software Engineer
Mouse Genome Informatics
mhall@informatics.jax.org
(207) 288-6012

Re: Lucene website - benchmarks page

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthew Hall <mh...@informatics.jax.org>.

Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : Prob want to run it on decent hardware as well (eg mabye I shouldn't do
> : it with my 5200 rpm laptop drives).
>
> as long as both are run on the same hardware, and the page lists the
> hardware, it's the relative numbers that matter the most.
>

> -Hoss

Matthew Hall
Software Engineer
Mouse Genome Informatics
mhall@informatics.jax.org
(207) 288-6012

Re: Lucene website - benchmarks page

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sure - not a bad idea - need to remember to set autocommit to false on
2.4 though.

Not sure if there are any other fair settings -

Prob want to run it on decent hardware as well (eg mabye I shouldn't do
it with my 5200 rpm laptop drives).

note: I also think the wiki already has benchmark stuff too - and its
just as outdated :)

- Mark

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
I would suggest we move it to the wiki (I think we can simply remove
the 1.2 and 1.3 benchmarks) and try to get a more recent benchmark
soon. In other words a benchmark page on the wiki could be maintained
by all users and commiters and would encurage people to publish their
results as the hurdle is not as high as it is if you wanna get
something on the official website.
I'm happy to add the page and encurage people on the user list to add
their benchmarks and performance experiences.

simon

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.