Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sandor Spruit <sa...@cs.uu.nl> on 2006/03/18 14:10:40 UTC

[Off-topic] How did they implement this Javascript effect?

Hi all,

I just saw a nice JavaScript effect on the Amazon.com homepage.
Moving the mouse over the image 'Find gifts' reveals an "exploding"
table of options. Just the thing I could use for an interactive page.

Anyone got any ideas exactly how this works? I can think of a few ways
to get there, but this one seems to work quite smooth. I've been looking
at the code, but cannot quite figure out what happens.

I'd welcome any other suggestions for good JavaScript libraries - not
necessarily free - similar to something like scriptaculous with image or
animation effects.

Sandor

Re: [Off-topic] How did they implement this Javascript effect?

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
For a simple sample in a cform with helpicon, repleace the onClick event
with a onMouseOver Event [1]. The help window should display when your
mouse will point the help icon.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

[1]
http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/ecmascript/quickref/evhan_onmouseover.html

Posted by Luca Morandini <lm...@ieee.org>.
Sandor Spruit wrote:

> I just saw a nice JavaScript effect on the Amazon.com homepage.
> Moving the mouse over the image 'Find gifts' reveals an "exploding"
> table of options. Just the thing I could use for an interactive page.
>
> Anyone got any ideas exactly how this works? I can think of a few ways
> to get there, but this one seems to work quite smooth. I've been looking
> at the code, but cannot quite figure out what happens.

Well, I'd use a DIV that changes his display state from "none" to
"block" by means of a Javascript fragment (this is how I built a dynamic
tree-list some years ago).