Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Patel, Ronak Avinash (US SSA)" <ro...@baesystems.com> on 2010/11/10 03:34:45 UTC

RE: Commons Configuration 1.7

Hey,

Now that Apache Con is over...when can we expect to see the release to be available?

Ronak Patel

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Switching to dev list, which is more appropriate.

On 17 November 2010 15:27, Jörg Schaible <jo...@scalaris.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> dev list to see the current state. Nevertheless this will raise some
>>> questions about the impact for Commons Configuration ...
>>>

>> I'm not sure what you mean Jorg. VFS is an optional dependency so the Java
>> 5 requirement isn't an issue (although the doc probably needs to be
>> updated) and none of the changes made to VFS of late have had much of an
>> impact on Configuration.  I've checked several times.
>
> ???
>
> ========== %< ==============
> $ find src/java -name "*.java" -exec grep org.apache.commons.vfs \{} +
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileContent;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/reloading/VFSFileMonitorReloadingStrategy.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.impl.DefaultFileMonitor;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/reloading/VFSFileMonitorReloadingStrategy.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileListener;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/reloading/VFSFileMonitorReloadingStrategy.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileChangeEvent;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/reloading/VFSFileMonitorReloadingStrategy.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileObject;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/reloading/VFSFileMonitorReloadingStrategy.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.VFS;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/reloading/VFSFileMonitorReloadingStrategy.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileSystemManager;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/reloading/VFSFileMonitorReloadingStrategy.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileSystemException;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/VFSFileSystem.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileObject;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/VFSFileSystem.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileName;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/VFSFileSystem.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.VFS;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/VFSFileSystem.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileSystemManager;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/VFSFileSystem.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileContent;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/VFSFileSystem.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileSystemException;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/VFSFileSystem.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileType;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/VFSFileSystem.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileSystemOptions;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/VFSFileSystem.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileSystemConfigBuilder;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/VFSFileSystem.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.provider.UriParser;
> ========== %< ==============
>
> To release CC you have to build it and this means now Java 5. It does not
> matter here if this is an optional dependency. BTW: It cannot build against
> vfs 2.0-SNAPSHOT - you're using the old package name.

So the CC dependency on VFS is optional at run-time only.

There are various possible solutions - in no particular order:

- use reflection
- separate the CC-VFS code into independent (optional) jar that is
built with Java 1.5
- VFS could provide an API jar which has no implementation. That could
be compiled for Java 1.4.

I'm sure there are more.

Re: Commons Configuration 1.7

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@scalaris.com>.
Hi Ralph,

Ralph Goers wrote:

> Moved from user's list.
>
> On Nov 17, 2010, at 7:27 AM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>
>> Hi Ralph,
>>

>>> I'm not sure what you mean Jorg. VFS is an optional dependency so the
>>> Java 5 requirement isn't an issue (although the doc probably needs to be
>>> updated) and none of the changes made to VFS of late have had much of an
>>> impact on Configuration.  I've checked several times.
>>
>> ???
>
> I have no idea how you got the below but you did something wrong. All
> these were changed in r1034667.

OK, sorry, I did not update my local copy first.

[snip]

>> To release CC you have to build it and this means now Java 5. It does not
>> matter here if this is an optional dependency. BTW: It cannot build
>> against vfs 2.0-SNAPSHOT - you're using the old package name.
>
> I use a Java 6 compiler, but Configuration's pom.xml is configured to
> require Java 1.4.  If there were any problems they would have showed up
> when I built Commons Configuration after the package was changed.  There
> would only be a problem if Configuration was using something in the VFS
> API that was exposing something from Java 5.

OK, but as said, you have to use at least a Java 5 compiler for the build.

- Jörg

Re: Commons Configuration 1.7

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Moved from user's list.

> [...]

> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileSystemOptions;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/VFSFileSystem.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileSystemConfigBuilder;
> src/java/org/apache/commons/configuration/VFSFileSystem.java:import
> org.apache.commons.vfs.provider.UriParser;
> ========== %< ==============
>
> To release CC you have to build it and this means now Java 5. It does not
> matter here if this is an optional dependency. BTW: It cannot build against
> vfs 2.0-SNAPSHOT - you're using the old package name.

I use a Java 6 compiler, but Configuration's pom.xml is configured to require Java 1.4.  If there were any problems they would have showed up when I built Commons Configuration after the package was changed.  There would only be a problem if Configuration was using something in the VFS API that was exposing something from Java 5.

Ralph

Re: Commons Configuration 1.7

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@scalaris.com>.
Hi Ralph,

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@scalaris.com>.
Hi Patel,

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Nov 9, 2010, at 11:59 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Patel, Ronak Avinash (US SSA) wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> Now that Apache Con is over...when can we expect to see the release to be
>> available?
>
> VFS has to be released first - still.

I am hopeful that the VFS release will happen within a week. Unfortunately, now that I am back at my day job the amount of time I have is much more limited. However, the hard parts of getting the release done was accomplished.

Ralph

RE: Commons Configuration 1.7

Posted by "Patel, Ronak Avinash (US SSA)" <ro...@baesystems.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.