Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Frank Barnaby <Fr...@Sun.COM> on 2008/01/03 03:54:41 UTC

Layout for River Distribution Site

I'm putting together the layout for the River distribution site.  I'd
like to start with a simple layout for the AR1 release but structure
it to accommodate future releases.  Here's the proposed layout,
which is based on portions of existing projects:

   HEADER.html
   KEYS -> binaries/2.1.1/KEYS
   README.html

   apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-bin.zip -> binaries/2.1.1/apache-
river-2.1.1-incubating-bin.zip
   apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-bin.zip.asc -> binaries/2.1.1/apache-
river-2.1.1-incubating-bin.zip.asc
   apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-bin.zip.md5 -> binaries/2.1.1/apache-
river-2.1.1-incubating-bin.zip.md5
   apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-bin.zip.sha -> binaries/2.1.1/apache-
river-2.1.1-incubating-bin.zip.sha

   apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-src.zip -> source/2.1.1/apache-
river-2.1.1-incubating-src.zip
   apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-src.zip.asc -> source/2.1.1/apache-
river-2.1.1-incubating-src.zip.asc
   apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-src.zip.md5 -> source/2.1.1/apache-
river-2.1.1-incubating-src.zip.md5
   apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-src.zip.sha -> source/2.1.1/apache-
river-2.1.1-incubating-src.zip.sha

   binaries/2.1.1/KEYS
   binaries/2.1.1/apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-bin.zip
   binaries/2.1.1/apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-bin.zip.asc
   binaries/2.1.1/apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-bin.zip.md5
   binaries/2.1.1/apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-bin.zip.sha

   source/2.1.1/KEYS -> ../../binaries/2.1.1/KEYS
   source/2.1.1/apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-src.zip
   source/2.1.1/apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-src.zip.asc
   source/2.1.1/apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-src.zip.md5
   source/2.1.1/apache-river-2.1.1-incubating-src.zip.sha

The release-management guide (http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
)
suggests that the latest binaries are often linked at the top level
to allow users to easily locate the latest downloads.  Other, well
known projects (eg, ant and httpd) use a layout similar to what I've
proposed here.  Note that Apache does not have a required layout, but
they do suggest that existing structures be studied before creating
one.

The README.html file would contain project specific information related
to the download site.  The httpd server automatically appends the readme
content to the directory-index page.  Alternatively, we could use the
HEADER.html file to have content prepended to the directory-index page,
or we could use a combination of both.  Httpd, for example, uses the
header for an index into the appended readme:

   http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd

The Ant project has a slightly different configuration:

   http://www.apache.org/dist/ant

I've created basic HEADER.html and README.html files that will need to
be filled in.  I don't see a need for an index in the header at this
time, but the option is there when we decide to use it.

I've already created the basic web site at:

   http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/river

which is group writable and is located on people.apache.org at:

   /www/www.apache.org/dist/incubator/river

Apache seems to have some automatic publishing mechanism that is run on
some periodic schedule, so the River page is a bit out of date at the
moment.  I'm hoping that it will be updated within the next hour or two.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Frank

Re: Layout for River Distribution Site

Posted by Frank Barnaby <Fr...@Sun.COM>.
On Jan 14, 2008, at 06:31, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Jan 14, 2008 5:01 AM, Jim Hurley <ji...@mac.com> wrote:
>> Sorry for the delay in responding...
>
> Me too...
>
>> Thanks for making the proposal -- I like the layout, and appreciate
>> that it's similar to other Apache projects.  Nice job.
>>
>> Does anyone have any objections?
>
> Looks good to me, with some comments:
>
> * I'd drop the symlinks. There's been some reports about symlink
> problems with some mirrors, and I don't think they add too much value.
> If we want to provide direct links to the latest downloads, we can do
> that on the web site.

Good tip.  However, the downloads web page is a simple directory index
with content prepended by the web server.  Unless we change the
directory
index to a specific html file, we cannot create the links that you
suggest.

To prevent problems with the mirrors, I'd prefer to just remove the
top-level
links and leave the releases in their respective, versioned sub-
directories,
in which case we'd have the following layout:

	HEADER.html
	README.html
	binaries/<version>/{KEYS,*.zip,*.md5,*.sha*}
	source/<version>/{KEYS,*.zip,*.md5,*.sha*}

I'm sure users will be able to locate the latest release easy enough.
This
approach will also simplify distribution maintenance.

> * It's probably cleaner to keep just a single KEYS file at the top
> level of the hierarchy.

My concern with the KEYS file was that I could imagine the possibility
of multiple committers generating project releases, which means the
KEYS file would differ
with each committer generating releases.  Placing the KEYS file with its
corresponding release seemed to be the right approach.  Not linking
the KEYS
file at the top is addressed in my previous comments above.

Thank you for the comments Jukka.

Frank

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jim Hurley <ji...@mac.com>.
Hi Frank-

Sorry for the delay in responding...

Thanks for making the proposal -- I like the layout, and appreciate
that it's similar to other Apache projects.  Nice job.

Does anyone have any objections?

-Jim