Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by monocongo <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2006/11/12 09:02:14 UTC

Why use ActiveMQ over JBossMQ?

I am starting a new project which will involve asynchronous messaging and my
manager wants to use vanilla JMS and JBossMQ.  I have used MDBs with JBossAS
and JMS QueueSender/MessageListener with JBossMQ before, and now that I'm
familiar with (some parts of) Spring I'd like to go the Spring JMS /ActiveMQ
route instead, if it makes sense, and I suspect it does.  If anyone can
provide me with some information or point me to any references which would
help me make my case I'd certainly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!

--James

Re: Why use ActiveMQ over JBossMQ?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 11/14/06, monocongo <ja...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks James.
>
> I don't want or need to use MDBs or any other kind of EJBs.  I want to avoid
> using JBoss if possible.  I certainly do want to use Spring.  I guess it
> comes down to whether or not ActiveMQ is as "professional grade" as JBossMQ,
> and according to the page you reference ActiveMQ actually blows JBossMQ out
> of the water in terms of performance.  However I wonder if there are any
> other considerations, such as does JBossMQ have any features that ActiveMQ
> lacks?

No - in fact its the other way around, ActiveMQ has tons of features
that JBossMQ lacks...
http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/features.html

>  Isn't it true that I need to run JBossAS in order to get JBossMQ
> (perhaps that's a question for the JBoss forum)?  Are there many enterprise
> level projects/products which use ActiveMQ as the messaging provider?

Absolutely. We've heaps of customers using Apache ActiveMQ in
production today. Also WebSphere Community Edition from IBM comes with
ActiveMQ too.

>  Are
> there any issues with persisting messages to a data source using ActiveMQ?

No

> What about using transactions?

What about them? :) We are JMS and J2EE 1.4 compliant (via Geronimo)
so handle JMS and XA transactions just fine
--

James
-------

Re: Why use ActiveMQ over JBossMQ?

Posted by monocongo <ja...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks James.

I don't want or need to use MDBs or any other kind of EJBs.  I want to avoid
using JBoss if possible.  I certainly do want to use Spring.  I guess it
comes down to whether or not ActiveMQ is as "professional grade" as JBossMQ,
and according to the page you reference ActiveMQ actually blows JBossMQ out
of the water in terms of performance.  However I wonder if there are any
other considerations, such as does JBossMQ have any features that ActiveMQ
lacks?  Isn't it true that I need to run JBossAS in order to get JBossMQ
(perhaps that's a question for the JBoss forum)?  Are there many enterprise
level projects/products which use ActiveMQ as the messaging provider?  Are
there any issues with persisting messages to a data source using ActiveMQ?
What about using transactions?

Thanks for any further information/answers.

--James

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.