Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Nau, Michael" <Mi...@pyxis.com> on 2003/02/05 18:39:01 UTC

Recommendations for moving from java to .NET

We are looking into shifting our component-based development environment
from java & j2ee to c# & .NET.

Has anyone used the .NET tools provided in ant
(http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/dotnet.html). Does anyone
have any other recommendations?

Mike.

Re: Recommendations for moving from java to .NET

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
out of curiousity, why the migration?

The .NET tools in ant are all you get with ant, though in CVS there are
better versions, versions that support definitions as inner elements,
compile VB, etc, etc. But these are unstable and will change again before
ant1.6 ships, and not fully documented until you run the proposal/xdocs
build file to autogenerate the documentation.

Nb, the changes I want to do before ant1.6 to this code are
-fix up references so you can have filesets of libraries <references
dir="lib" includes="**/*.dll" />

-add code to look at the PE header of a DLL, and drop all 'unmanaged' dlls
from the reference set above. This lets you auto include only the PE
libraries, not legacy libs (that the compiler barfs on)

-ideally integrate defines and references with the defines and lib datatypes
in ant-contrib's C++ routines, so we only have one set of these low level
datatypes (in ant core)