Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Henry Yeh <hy...@Scheduling.com> on 2001/07/27 01:38:16 UTC

Can Tomcat Host EAR Files and update them automatically when they are changed ?

Since tomcat doesn't support auto-reloading of non-servlet
files (e.g. JSP files), I am finding it hard to just have
the servlets updated but not the jsp files in the application
that I developed. I would always get Classcast exceptions.
Anyone has any inputs !? I really appreciate it. Thanks.

-- Auri

Re: Can Tomcat Host EAR Files and update them automatically when they are changed ?

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
Tomcat does support reloading of JSPs.  It does not (AFAIK) support
reloading of beans and other "support" classes.

However, having said that I see the subject as EAR files, which would be
handled by an EJB container (JBoss?).  In that situation it would be up to
the container I think as to how to deal with it...???  JBoss watches the
.ear/.war file for updates, I'm not sure what happens when you point its
deployer at an existing directory structure - my understanding was it
watched ejb-jar.xml files, which obviously isn't directly relevant to
servlets and tomcat, although I'm guessing it can also watch an
web.xml.  Anyway, this is all getting off topic, if this is what you're
interested in it might be better handled on the jboss (or relevant app
server) list.

cheers
dim

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Henry Yeh wrote:

> Since tomcat doesn't support auto-reloading of non-servlet
> files (e.g. JSP files), I am finding it hard to just have
> the servlets updated but not the jsp files in the application
> that I developed. I would always get Classcast exceptions.
> Anyone has any inputs !? I really appreciate it. Thanks.

Which version of Tomcat are you speaking of?  Tomcat 4.0-b6 supports both
auto-reloading on changes to non-servlet classes *and* recognizes JSP file
changes as well.  If you still encounter ClassCastException errors with
4.0-b6, please report them to the bug tracking system (with a test case if
possible):

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

> -- Auri

Craig McClanahan