Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by deepak srinivasan <sd...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/13 11:37:41 UTC

Parent Child Caching

Hi

Is a single parent (IP = 10.xxx.yyy.zzz) multi child relationship allowed
in ATS child-parent config?

we are trying 2 children 1 parent 1 origin server.

The 1st child hits (HTTP request) and gets the data, cache it as well.
Then we hit (SAME HTTP request) from the other child.. who has the same
parent (IP = 10.xxx.yyy.zzz) configured. Since the request is same the
parent should return the response from its Cache, instead the parent is
forwarding the request to the server 2nd time...
we have followed following steps

set proxy.config.http.parent_proxy_routing_enable = 1 from records.config
and
dest_host=host1 parent=parent1 round-robin=strict in parent.config file

as mentioned on the site.

Is there any other setting i have to change in any config file?
Why the parent doesnt reply the 2nd child with the cached data since the
request is same?
Is the parent changing the request due to different IP Address of 2
different child?

please guide if i am missing something in config.

also 1 last query is ICP and Parent cache setting dependent on each other..

Regards

--
regards
deepak

Re: Parent Child Caching

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> Is a single parent (IP = 10.xxx.yyy.zzz) multi child relationship
> allowed in ATS child-parent config?
>
> we are trying 2 children 1 parent 1 origin server.
>
> The 1st child hits (HTTP request) and gets the data, cache it as
> well.
> Then we hit (SAME HTTP request) from the other child.. who has the
> same parent (IP = 10.xxx.yyy.zzz) configured. Since the request is
> same the parent should return the response from its Cache, instead
> the parent is forwarding the request to the server 2nd time...
> we have followed following steps
>
> set proxy.config.http.parent_proxy_routing_enable = 1 from
> records.config
> and
> dest_host=host1 parent=parent1 round-robin=strict in parent.config
> file
>
> as mentioned on the site.
>
> Is there any other setting i have to change in any config file?
> Why the parent doesnt reply the 2nd child with the cached data since
> the request is same?
> Is the parent changing the request due to different IP Address of 2
> different child?
>
> please guide if i am missing something in config.
>

> also 1 last query is ICP and Parent cache setting dependent on each
> other..

I'm not sure about why the parent cache issue occurs, all I know is
that ICP is currently broken, so your config should not depend on it.

--
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org