Posted to dev@streams.apache.org by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org> on 2016/10/24 19:26:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] planning, categorizing, commencing issues in JIRA

Hello,

Thanks to a lot of fresh attention recently (thanks Joey, Suneel) we’re down to ~50 Open issues without a FixVersion.

There are a few themes:
- problems with streams-runtime-local / streams-monitoring
- improvements / alterations to schemas / data handoff patterns
- new / better providers and persisters
- documentation / website / examples
- other bugs

Additionally, there’s are a few big topics being tossed around that need to be scoped and prioritized, such as
- Activity Streams 2.0
- changing core interfaces
- new runtimes
- streams API
- streams UI

Specifics aside,

Does anyone else see a need to start tagging issues with epics and/or components and/or labels?  Preferences on how?

Does anyone have suggestions on how to start formalizing, breaking down, and scheduling these larger efforts?

Steve

Re: [DISCUSS] planning, categorizing, commencing issues in JIRA

Posted by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org>.
On October 24, 2016 at 12:37:32 PM, Suneel Marthi (smarthi@apache.org) wrote:
On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 3:26 PM, sblackmon <sb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks to a lot of fresh attention recently (thanks Joey, Suneel) we’re
> down to ~50 Open issues without a FixVersion.
>
> There are a few themes:
> - problems with streams-runtime-local / streams-monitoring
> - improvements / alterations to schemas / data handoff patterns
> - new / better providers and persisters
> - documentation / website / examples
> - other bugs
>
> Additionally, there’s are a few big topics being tossed around that need
> to be scoped and prioritized, such as
> - Activity Streams 2.0
> - changing core interfaces
> - new runtimes
> - streams API
> - streams UI
>
> Specifics aside,
>
> Does anyone else see a need to start tagging issues with epics and/or
> components and/or labels? Preferences on how?

I think the first step is to define the 'Components' for the project and
tag each jira against one/more components. Before we start creating more
Jiras.

I’ll take a shot at an initial list:

core
providers
processors
persist
plugins
runtimes
schemas
tests

miss anything?

> Does anyone have suggestions on how to start formalizing, breaking down,
> and scheduling these larger efforts?

If it helps to create Scrum boards and prioritize TODOs for each release
(assuming one release/month), let's start doing that. Need to file an
Infra ticket to enable Scrum boards in Jira for the project.

on it.

Posted by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org>.
Following up - the project is now set up for scrum / kanban.

I created a basic scrum board and sprints for 0.4.1 and 0.5.0

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=147

Other committers should be able to open an INFRA ticket to get expanded privileges.

Steve

On November 8, 2016 at 10:18:00 AM, sblackmon (sblackmon@apache.org) wrote:

On October 24, 2016 at 2:37:32 PM, Suneel Marthi (smarthi@apache.org) wrote:

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 3:26 PM, sblackmon <sb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Does anyone else see a need to start tagging issues with epics and/or
> components and/or labels? Preferences on how?

I think the first step is to define the 'Components' for the project and
tag each jira against one/more components. Before we start creating more
Jiras.
opened STREAMS-453

> Does anyone have suggestions on how to start formalizing, breaking down,
> and scheduling these larger efforts?

If it helps to create Scrum boards and prioritize TODOs for each release
(assuming one release/month), let's start doing that. Need to file an
Infra ticket to enable Scrum boards in Jira for the project.
opened INFRA-12873

Posted by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.