Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/04 04:35:37 UTC

slides about Pig

We presented on Pig tonight at the Pittsburgh HUG.
Here are the slides:
http://squarecog.wordpress.com/2009/11/03/apache-pig-apittsburgh-hadoop-user-group/

The presentation takes a brief romp through "why a new language",
followed by a summary of what various joins do and how they work, some
highlights of what's being worked on, and a few ideas for potential
research directions (the Pittsburgh HUG is leans heavily towards the
academia).

Enjoy, feedback welcome.

-Dmitriy

Re: slides about Pig

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.
Olga, in the future, I am not going to attempt explaining 4 join
algorithms in 4 minutes :-).

Ankur -- valid points, thanks for the feedback.

RE: slides about Pig

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: slides about Pig

Posted by "Ankur C. Goel" <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Dmitriy,
              Congrats on all the good work. The slides are all very informative and  look great :-).
A minor thing that I would like to bring to your notice is in slide #19 on Multi-query optimization.

Point #1 in the slide should be modified to
"Multiplexer tags records with pipeline ID they belong to in the map stage"

Point #3 in the slide says
  "Multiplexer in reduce sends records to the appropriate pipeline"
This should be replaced with
"De-multiplexer in reduce stage sending record to the appropriate pipeline"

The changes would be in accordance with the true mux-demux meaning
Multiplexing  - Sending multiple signals (tuples in this context) through a single pipeline (group in this context).
De-multiplexing - Extracting multiple signals from a single pipeline.

-@nkur