Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/18 16:17:20 UTC

Contributed Plugins License

While JSPWiki itself is strict that only Apache licensed code is included
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI-545) this is different for
Contributed Plugins.
Some plugins are binary only, some contain their source, but almost none
contain any hint of a distribution license. I think this is an
unsatisfactory state of affairs.

I suggest that there be a hint concerning the licenses at
http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/ContributedPlugins#section-ContributedPlugins-QuestionsAndTips

A strict way were to only approve Apache compatible Licenses, this would de
facto force contributors to put their plugins under Apache license and
include source code. This would have the advantage that you could easily
take a plugin into core.

Or one would ask contributors to explicitly state a License, e.g.
commercial, Apache, ...

Or one could disable Attachments altogether for the Wiki page and force
contributors to attach their contributions to a JIRA (one for all or a new
one for each attachment) as source code. I believe in the JIRA attachment
form you have to license attachments to Apache.

What do you think?
Thanks,
Juergen

Re: Contributed Plugins License

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.

Janne Jalkanen wrote:

>> I think finally Contributed Plugins should also be together with JSPWiki
>> sources on Apache servers. I guess that means contributions have to be
>> Apache licensed, anyway.
>
> Well, eventually they would have to be Apache-licensed if we wanted to
> distribute them.
>
>> I understand contributors would have to sign Individual Contributor
>> License
>> Agreement.
>
> This is correct.  However, in Apache lingo "Contributor" is the guy who
> actually contributes code which eventually ends up in the Apache SVN.
>
>> In the mean time I'd suggest to put this text on the Contributor Wiki
>> page:
>> -----
>> As JSPWiki is under Apache license we ask you to put your contributed
>> plugins under Apache license, too. So other JSPWiki users can legally use
>> your plugins together with JSPWiki.
>>
>> You might also consider create a project for your plugin on
>> code.google.com,
>> java.net or another hoster for open source project and link to it from
>> here.
>> -----
>
> That's incorrect. ASL only governs distribution, not use.  So you can use
> whatever code you want together with JSPWiki, no matter how it's licensed.
> However, the Apache JSPWiki project can only put stuff in the SVN which
> has been licensed under the ASL, and the contributor has signed a Software
> Grant or a Contributor License Agreement.

You're right.
Still, I guess most people uploading plugins don't think about licensing, so
I think if the Wiki page suggests / prods to use Apache license, people will
do it. And this ends with more Apache licensed code which is a good thing.
If you are a tiny software shop and build something on JSPWiki, you cannot
distribute JSPWiki with GPLed plugins. Even if you are a daughter company of
a BigCorp giving the software to BigCorp is distribution.

> But it might be a nice idea to start a separate project on one of the
> places you mention to gather the plugins into a single place and help
> building code which is not directly maintained by JSPWiki committers.
>
> /Janne

.. and this java.net JSPWiki  Plugins drop box project could have Apache
license by default.
So a good plugin could finally move into Apache svn.
8-)

Re: Contributed Plugins License

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.
I browsed some Apache FAQs and the thing doesn't seem easy anymore, I'm not a
lawyer 8-(

I think finally Contributed Plugins should also be together with JSPWiki
sources on Apache servers. I guess that means contributions have to be
Apache licensed, anyway.

"Any code submitted to the Apache project must be compatible with the Apache
License, and the act of submission must be viewed as an implicit license of
the submitted code to the Apache Software Foundation. "
(http://ant.apache.org/ant_task_guidelines.html)

The most similar to JSPWiki Plugins seem to be Maven plugins. And they link
to the committer FAQ from
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-helping.html
Ant say:
"Because the Gnu GPL license immediately extends to cover any larger
application (or library, in the case of LGPL) into which it is incorporated,
the Ant team cannot incorporate any task based upon GPL or LGPL source into
the Ant codebase. You are free to submit it, but it will be politely and
firmly rejected. "
http://ant.apache.org/ant_task_guidelines.html

See also this draft: http://www.apache.org/legal/drafts/process-draft.html

I understand contributors would have to sign Individual Contributor License
Agreement.

So I'd suggest you contact the apache people who helped you move JSPWiki to
incubator.

In the mean time I'd suggest to put this text on the Contributor Wiki page:
-----
As JSPWiki is under Apache license we ask you to put your contributed
plugins under Apache license, too. So other JSPWiki users can legally use
your plugins together with JSPWiki.

You might also consider create a project for your plugin on code.google.com,
java.net or another hoster for open source project and link to it from here.
-----

Greetings, Juergen

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.