Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> on 1997/11/04 00:59:43 UTC

Re: Overhauling mod_rewrite !!

I think it is a good idea to do this reorganization of mod_rewrite
now rather than later.  Splitting it up into different files is
equivalent to reformatting, except in the production of new makefiles.

Making changes to the code at the same time as splitting it up is
generally a bad idea (like Ken said) and it would be nice if you
could split a baseline version first (e.g., the copy included with 1.3b2)
and then apply the code changes since that baseline to the new files.
That would give us a version history of the code changes.  OTOH, that
is extra work, and I'd rather see the file split happen than hold it
back just to make the version history available.

The reason I think it should be done now is because mod_rewrite is
currently in a state where only Ralf can understand how it works.
If we break it up to be more understandable by people who are not the
original author, then I think we'll have better luck developing a 2.0
architecture that fits its needs.  This is the same reason why I supported
the reorg of the vhost code.

My only request is that one of the NT-clueful folks volunteer to fix
the NT build at the same time as Ralf commits the changes (i.e., you
guys need to coordinate so that the changes get committed on a day
in which an NT person is available to fix and commit the NT makefiles).

....Roy  +1