Posted to dev@curator.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2020/12/01 16:40:17 UTC

Re: State of the project - 2020

Thank you all,
In my experience Curator is very much used in the ZooKeeper ecosystem.
Probably many people have Apache Curator in their stack and they even do
not know.
I am currently trying to upgrade ZK to the latest version (3.6.x) in a few
projects (in Apache BookKeeper and Pulsar for instance) and always I get
into Curator that is to be upgraded.

I see people using it for the recipes and also a very good value is
perceived for the TestingServer, because it makes it super easy to start
the ZK server for tests.

Probably we should try to find a way to get more feedback from our users
as already said in this thread, ZooKeeper is very stable and Curator
follows this line,
this is why we do not have much activity on the ML.

Enrico

Re: State of the project - 2020

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.
Also, FYI - I've answered a load of Curator questions on SO: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/apache-curator <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/apache-curator> - not too many this year though.

-Jordan

Re: State of the project - 2020

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 9:07 AM Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>
wrote:

> > Probably we should try to find a way to get more feedback from our users
> > as already said in this thread, ZooKeeper is very stable and Curator
> > follows this line,
> > this is why we do not have much activity on the ML.
>
> I've tried lots of different ways - SO, Twitter, etc. Nothing seems to
> work. Years ago, I approached Patrick Hunt about merging Curator with
> ZooKeeper. We decided that the BookKeeper experience proved this a bad
> idea. Maybe it makes more sense now? Other than that, I don't have any
> ideas.

Two things come to mind. The development communities have been distinct, at
least until recently as we've seen some great crossover. :-) Secondly, at
least at the time, the amount of time btw zk releases was very long. The
velocity of curator development would have been negatively impacted imo.

Patrick

Re: State of the project - 2020

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.