Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Tilak Raj Singh <ti...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/17 11:08:50 UTC

Using Xen Server and KVM together

Hi..

I have been using cloudstack using KVM for some time and would now like to
add a new cluster with Xenserver Hosts..
I wished to know is that possible for a single cloudstack management server
to handle both Xen and KVM? If yes can anybody tell me how to proceed to do
the same?
Its because the templates for system VM for Xen are different than that of
KVM and I read that adding support for Xen has to be done before setting up
the Management Server. I would not like any changes to my current
cloudstack management server as currently some VMs are running on it.

Also I wished to know is Intel VT necessary to be enabled for Xen too like
it is for KVM. I browsed a few links and they said that Xen can also work
without Intel VT enabled from the BIOS given extensive GUI based processing
is not required on the VMs. So does Cloudstack accept Xen Hosts with Intel
VT enabled?

Regards

Re: Using Xen Server and KVM together

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Tilak,

CloudStack can most certainly manage kvm and XenServer at the same time.

Firstly download the latest XenServer system VM Template in line with the install docs for your version.

You then need to setup the Xenserver Traffic Labels on each network in CloudStack, setting them the same as the actual names of the networks or bonds you have setup on your XenServer hosts.

Regarding lack of Intel VT support you need to run the following to update the database BEFORE you try adding the hosts

mysql -p<password> cloud -e \ "INSERT INTO cloud.configuration (category, instance, component, name, value, description) VALUES ('Advanced', 'DEFAULT', 'management-server', 'xen.check.hvm', 'false', 'Shoud we allow only the XenServers support HVM');"

Finally take a look at http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack/xenserver-native-ha-with-cloudstack/ to help you setup XenServer Management HA.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom
CTO / Cloud Architect

D: +44 20 3603 0542<tel:+442036030542> | S: +44 20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540> | M: +447968161581<tel:+447968161581>

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com<htp://www.shapeblue.com/> | Twitter:@cloudstackguru<https://twitter.com/#!/cloudstackguru>

ShapeBlue Ltd, 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London, WC2N 4HS<x-apple-data-detectors://5>

On 17 Jan 2015, at 10:10, Tilak Raj Singh <ti...@gmail.com>> wrote:

[...]

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: Using Xen Server and KVM together

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi,

> On 18-Jan-2015, at 6:46 am, Tilak Raj Singh <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Can somebody provide me official cloudstack links for systemvm templates
> for Xen? I am using cloudstack 4.4.1 as my management server.

shapeblue.com/packages
packages.shapeblue.com/systemvmtemplate

If you terribly want XenServer where you are not in a position to run XenServer on host machine, with some cost to performance - you ran run XenServer as a VM on ACS+KVM+CentOS setup.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com

Posted by Stephan Seitz <s....@secretresearchfacility.com>.
Hi all,

> docs of cloudstack 4.0.2 here
> https://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.0.0-incubating/html-single/Installation_Guide/
> and it clearly lists that " *The current release of CloudStack supports
> pre-packaged enterprise solutions like Citrix XenServer and VMware vSphere,
> as well as KVM or Xen running on Ubuntu or CentOS.*" in the first para of
> section 1.2.

I'm assume, the documentation here doesn't reflect the real
capabitilies. I've tried Xen/libvirt on Ubuntu to no success. For
gettings things simply done, I moved over to XenServer.

Anyway, this is speculative. If someone knows if (and how) Xen with
libvirt can be used with ACS, I would highly appreciate any hints!

Cheers,

- Stephan

Re: Using Xen Server and KVM together

Posted by Tilak Raj Singh <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lucian,

I believe thats not true. Because I was just going through installation
docs of cloudstack 4.0.2 here
https://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.0.0-incubating/html-single/Installation_Guide/
and it clearly lists that " *The current release of CloudStack supports
pre-packaged enterprise solutions like Citrix XenServer and VMware vSphere,
as well as KVM or Xen running on Ubuntu or CentOS.*" in the first para of
section 1.2.

I am using cloudstack 4.4.1. Is the support for Xen running on CentOS taken
out of the version I am using i.e. 4.4.1?

Regards

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hello Tilak,

Posted by Tilak Raj Singh <ti...@gmail.com>.