Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Fred Toth <ft...@synernet.com> on 2001/04/14 05:50:48 UTC

ssl advice? modssl vs. apache-ssl vs. ?

Hi all,

Today, access control, tomorrow, e-commerce!

I've been having a great time writing a mod_perl access control system,
and I greatly appreciate all the help I've gotten from folks on this list.

Now it's time to start working toward some e-commerce requirements,
and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.

I've just taken a quick look at the modssl site and the apache-ssl site.
Does anyone want to comment on the pros and cons of these 2 approaches?

Can mod_perl co-exist with either or both of these?

All responses welcome, including "don't do it, go back, save yourself!".

Thanks,

Fred Toth

Re: ssl advice? modssl vs. apache-ssl vs. ?

Posted by iain truskett <ic...@koschei.8m.com>.
* Michael Robinton (michael@bizsystems.com) [14 Apr 2001 17:23]:
> > I've just taken a quick look at the modssl site and the apache-ssl
> > site. Does anyone want to comment on the pros and cons of these 2
> > approaches?
> >
> > Can mod_perl co-exist with either or both of these?
[...]
> Don't know anything about modssl, I've been using apache-ssl +
> mod_perl for several years and am quite happy with the results.

Apache/1.3.19 (Unix) PHP/4.0.4pl1 mod_perl/1.25 mod_ssl/2.8.1 OpenSSL/0.9.6

Been happily working with various versions for the past year on the
above machine and another one. mod_perl happily coexists with mod_ssl.

Simple to install, simple to use.

cheers,
--
iain.                                          <http://eh.org/~koschei/>
Be nice to your kids.... They will pick out your nursing home.

Re: ssl advice? modssl vs. apache-ssl vs. ?

Posted by Michael Robinton <mi...@bizsystems.com>.
> I've just taken a quick look at the modssl site and the apache-ssl site.
> Does anyone want to comment on the pros and cons of these 2 approaches?
>
> Can mod_perl co-exist with either or both of these?
>
> All responses welcome, including "don't do it, go back, save yourself!".

Don't know anything about modssl, I've been using apache-ssl + mod_perl
for several years and am quite happy with the results.

Currently up to: on 2 production and 1 development system
apache_1.3.14
apache-ssl_1.42.
mod_perl-1.24_01
openssl-0.9.6

Hope this helps
Mod_perl development & telecommuting available
Michael

Re: ssl advice? modssl vs. apache-ssl vs. ?

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Wim Kerkhoff wrote:

> > Apache-1.3.19
> > mod_ssl-2.8.1-1.3.19
> > mod_perl-1.25 (DSO!)
> > openssl-0.9.4
> > Linux_2.2.16
> > glibc 2.1.3 (*important*)
>
> Why is using glibc 2.1.3 important? It works fine for me with glibc
> 2.2.2.  I'm using the latest versions of openssl (0.9.6) and the Linux
> kernel (2.4.x) as well. I'm using Debian, things may differ on other
> (I'll leave it at that ;) distributions and operating systems.

You need glibc 2.1 or later for full functionality, see the docs. if
you're worried.  You shouldn't be.  Note that there are problems with
56-bit export versions of MSIE5.x and versions of openssl later than
0.9.4, which is why I haven't upgraded to 0.9.6.  That's mentioned in
the docs for mod_ssl.  Worry.

73,
Ged.

Re: ssl advice? modssl vs. apache-ssl vs. ?

Posted by Wim Kerkhoff <wi...@merilus.com>.
"G.W. Haywood" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Fred Toth wrote:
>
> > I've just taken a quick look at the modssl site and the apache-ssl site.
> > Does anyone want to comment on the pros and cons of these 2 approaches?
>
> Recently I installed mod_ssl for the first time and although it took
> several attempts to get things done in the right order (and by the
> right user:) there were no real difficulties.  Haven't used apache-ssl
> so I can't comment on the relative merits, but if you read the mod_ssl
> docs the decision seems to be easy.

Yea, took me a while to the first couple of times, especially when
trying to create your own certificate or figure out how to obtain and
use a real certificate.

> Apache-1.3.19
> mod_ssl-2.8.1-1.3.19
> mod_perl-1.25 (DSO!)
> openssl-0.9.4
> Linux_2.2.16
> glibc 2.1.3 (*important*)

Why is using glibc 2.1.3 important? It works fine for me with glibc
2.2.2.  I'm using the latest versions of openssl (0.9.6) and the Linux
kernel (2.4.x) as well. I'm using Debian, things may differ on other
(I'll leave it at that ;) distributions and operating systems.

The modperl guide (perl.apache.org/guide) has sections on SSL servers as
well.  You can basically copy and paste the commands from there, I have
done that.

As for apache-ssl, sorry, I have no clue on that.  I have tried using
the debian package called 'apache-ssl', but had horrible luck with
that.  I prefer to 'roll my own' apache/mod_ssl/mod_perl mixes anyways
though.

Wim Kerkhoff

Re: ssl advice? modssl vs. apache-ssl vs. ?

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Fred Toth wrote:

> I've just taken a quick look at the modssl site and the apache-ssl site.
> Does anyone want to comment on the pros and cons of these 2 approaches?

Recently I installed mod_ssl for the first time and although it took
several attempts to get things done in the right order (and by the
right user:) there were no real difficulties.  Haven't used apache-ssl
so I can't comment on the relative merits, but if you read the mod_ssl
docs the decision seems to be easy.

Apache-1.3.19
mod_ssl-2.8.1-1.3.19
mod_perl-1.25 (DSO!)