Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> on 2012/07/25 23:12:33 UTC

[MENTOR] distributing the InstallApacheFlex app

Mentors,

As you probably know by now, Om has written an Adobe AIR app that downloads the Apache Flex binary kit, as well as the other dependencies, and combines them into a single directory structure, similar to the one used by Adobe Flex.  This is what the Flex IDEs are expecting.  While this app is very handy, it is not required.

The code is now checked into https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/utilities/InstallApacheFlex which is separate from the rest of the Flex code.  The code is all source, with the exception of this directory, https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/utilities/InstallApacheFlex/badge. swfobject.js, with an MPL1.1 license, and expressInstall.swf, with an Adobe license which allows redistribution, are available as downloads.  I'm not sure how the swf was created but I presume with some combination of the files with the same name.

I have two questions:
1.  Are we allowed to have binary code in the Apache repository?
2.  Are we allowed to distribute the AIR apps (one for Windows and one for OSX) in our binaries directory (or sub-directory)?

Carol

Re: [MENTOR] distributing the InstallApacheFlex app

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Om <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...If the .fla file is causing issues, I think we
> should ditch it and make it a pure AS3 app with only the visual assets
> in the .fla (look-and-feel-only binaries are apparently okay)....

In general I like this approach, if there's a way to have
resource-only binaries (as opposed to resources + code) that's a plus
in terms of people being able to validate those binaries as being
harmless.

-Bertrand

Re: [MENTOR] distributing the InstallApacheFlex app

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Tomasz,

Any chance you can convert the assets into FXG?  I like the idea of having
the badge coded in AS3.  We might need AIR installation functionality in
the future.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/27/12 6:15 AM, "Carol Frampton" <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

> As far as I know, Alex got a tentative ok for .fla files that just contain
> assets.  I know we have one .fla file left in the SDK.  I'm not sure
> where/who will give us a definitive answer on this.

Actually, we only shipped on FLA file and that had code in it for the Flash
Integration Kit.  I de-composed all Asset-only FLA files into FXG assets so
I wouldn't have to try to get them blessed by IPMC.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [MENTOR] distributing the InstallApacheFlex app

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Tomasz Maciąg | Fuse Collective <t....@fusecollective.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Tomasz,

That makes sense.  If the .fla file is causing issues, I think we
should ditch it and make it a pure AS3 app with only the visual assets
in the .fla (look-and-feel-only binaries are apparently okay).

As you said, we are not using the AIR installation functionality anyways.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Tomasz Maciąg | Fuse Collective <t....@fusecollective.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 7/25/12 11 :22PM, "Greg Reddin" <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>See below:
>
>Sent from my mobile device.
>
>On Jul 25, 2012, at 4:12 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> I have two questions:
>> 1.  Are we allowed to have binary code in the Apache repository?
>
>Is the .swf file buildable? Is there a way to build it from source and
>include the output in the project build? Could the build of this binary
>artifact be scripted into the build of the overall project?

The directory in question is
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/utilities/InstallApacheFlex
/badge

AIRInstallBadge.as - this is a Adobe AIR sample program that has an Adobe
AIR SDK license which allows modification but I'm not sure Apache will
allow this license in their src
AIRInstallBadge.fla - this is a input file to Adobe Flash Professional but
it is is not in a readable form - I would consider this source but I'm not
sure Apache does
AIRInstallBadge.swf - I presume this was built from some combination of
the .fla and .as files but I'm not sure how and most likely requires Flash
Professional
AIRInstallBadgeCS4.fla
expressinstall.swf - this has an Adobe license but it is downloadable and
the SDK is already doing that
index.html
snippet.txt
swfobject.js - this has a compatible license and it is downloadable and

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
See below: