Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2004/03/18 11:37:06 UTC

File gone missing

Gang,

Anyone knows what have happened to
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.Log4JConfLoggerManager;

??

Used by Fortress but is not in Excalibur, or anywhere else for that matter.

Cheers
Niclas

RE: File gone missing

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>
> avalon-excalibur/event/src seems to have dissapeared.

Wasn't me.

:)

/LS

Re: File gone missing

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 18 March 2004 18:54, Leo Sutic wrote:
>
>>>From: Niclas Hedhman [mailto:niclas@hedhman.org]
>>>
>>>Rationale?
>>
>>None.
>>
>>Deleted by mistake by me.
>

> Ok, fair enough...
>
> More fuel to the fire of GumpUsage :o)
>
> I just need to know what should be done, and I can fix it up later.
>
> Where should it reside?
> Anything else that might have been removed at the same time, that needs
> restoration?

avalon-excalibur/event/src seems to have dissapeared.

Steve.

Re: File gone missing

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 18 March 2004 20:35, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Perhaps the test file should go into a different directory?

This is another conclusion that I am drawing from this exercise.

Excalibur consists of Tests that are no true unittest, as they are using
classes in 'upper levels' creating cyclic dependencies. Such tests, I would
more categorize as Integration Tests, and they MUST be separate from all the
packages it tries to test together.

Niclas

RE: File gone missing

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Perhaps the test file should go into a different directory?

Carsten

Re: File gone missing

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 18 March 2004 19:10, Leo Sutic wrote:

Following your guide, I did a file diff, and came up with the following files
that existed prior to the March 10 deletion, but is not available today;

./log4j/src/java/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/Log4JConfLoggerManager.java
./log4j/src/java/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/Log4JLoggerManager.java

./log4j/src/test/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/test/Log4JConfTestCase.java
./log4j/src/test/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/test/TestComponent.java
./log4j/src/test/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/test/TestComponentImpl.java

./logkit/src/test/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/test/LogKitManagementTest.java
./logkit/src/test/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/test/LogKitManagementTestCase.java
./logkit/src/test/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/test/LogKitTestComponent.java
./logkit/src/test/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/test/LogKitTestComponentImpl.java

Re: File gone missing

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 19 March 2004 01:25, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Just curious, how come SVN doesn't import the deleted material, if it
> > is so important? Must be a piece of cake.
>
> If you mean does cvs2svn take files in the Attic and integrate them back
> into the repository with a deleted record, I believe that it does, but
> you'll need to check with one of the experts.

Ok, I got the impression that it didn't....

I also hope you understand that in this particular case, it is nothing to
worry about.

Niclas

RE: File gone missing

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Just curious, how come SVN doesn't import the deleted material, if it
> is so important? Must be a piece of cake.

If you mean does cvs2svn take files in the Attic and integrate them back
into the repository with a deleted record, I believe that it does, but
you'll need to check with one of the experts.

I believe that cvs2svn will even try to detect movement, but that gets a bit
hairy.  If you think it is easy, please let the Subversion guys know.
Figuring out that two files in totally different locations have a common
ancestry to another file in a third location is non-trivial.

I have proposed that at least one class of situations could be detected
using shred, but you'd still need a human to confirm and correct the
sequence of events.

	--- Noel

Re: File gone missing

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 19 March 2004 01:04, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> ./logger/log4j/src/java/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/Attic/Log4JConfL
>o ggerManager.java
>
> > and put it in:
>
> Actually, someone should move the ,v file so that we don't lose its
> history. If necessary, check with Infrastructure.

Sorry, the file was moved from ./src/ to ./log4j/src and I have now been told
to take the ./log4j/src/ and put back on top of ./src/, which means only the
history of the change during its time (couple of weeks) in ./log4j/src/ will
be lost.

RE: File gone missing

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Really? That's a scary notion indeed.

Re: File gone missing

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

RE: File gone missing

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
> Actually, someone should move the ,v file so that we don't lose its
> history.
> If necessary, check with Infrastructure.

For the time being cannot moves that are absolutely required not just
request ,v file moves until we put subversion in?

Alex

Re: File gone missing

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 19 March 2004 01:05, Leo Sutic wrote:

> Dude, you're gonna hate what I've done with all the other files
> in excalibur-logger...

Sometimes I hate you, Sutic.... Sometimes you are so brilliant :o)

Niclas

RE: File gone missing

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Dude, you're gonna hate what I've done with all the other files
> in excalibur-logger...

Probably so ...

	--- Noel

RE: File gone missing

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

RE: File gone missing

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

RE: File gone missing

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Niclas Hedhman [mailto:niclas@hedhman.org]
>
> I just need to know what should be done, and I can fix it up later.

Take:

./logger/log4j/src/java/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/Attic/Log4JCo
nfLoggerManager.java

and put it in:

./logger/src/java/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/Log4JConfLoggerMana
ger.java

Should do it.

/LS

Re: File gone missing

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

RE: File gone missing

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
> From: Niclas Hedhman [mailto:niclas@hedhman.org]
>
> Rationale?

None.

Deleted by mistake by me.

/LS

Re: File gone missing

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 18 March 2004 18:37, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Anyone knows what have happened to
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.Log4JConfLoggerManager;

Looking into /home/cvs/avalon-excalibur;

Two files with that content;

./logger/src/java/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/Attic/Log4JConfLoggerManager.java
        deleted by Carsten on 2004.02.19 at 09.12.06

./logger/log4j/src/java/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/logger/Attic/Log4JConfLoggerManager.java
        deleted by Leo Sutic on 2004.03.10 at 13.57.37

Rationale?

Niclas

Re: File gone missing

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Gang,
>
> Anyone knows what have happened to
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.Log4JConfLoggerManager;
>
> ??
>
> Used by Fortress but is not in Excalibur, or anywhere else for that matter.

Don't ring any bells here.

Steve.

Re: File gone missing

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Gang,
>
> Anyone knows what have happened to
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.Log4JConfLoggerManager;
>
> ??
>
> Used by Fortress but is not in Excalibur, or anywhere else for that matter.

Hmm. Did someone miss that when they refactored Excalibur Logger?

It should be in CVS at at least.  Look before the split into separate
subpackages.  (i.e. when it was all in src/java)

RE: File gone missing

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
i guess this has been gone in the recent refactoring of the logger
package. One version is available in the Attic on the server.

Carsten