Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by David Leangen <dl...@canada.com> on 2004/09/30 21:49:35 UTC

Taking a quick pulse of the situation

Dear All,

Thank you for both your public and private responses to my offer to mediate.
I am replying to you all together in this message.

One thing that is clear is that many of you are beyond frustration with the
current situation and find this environment intolerable. So, it is clear
that something must be done. The question is what.

My suggestion is this...

If it is clear that the vast majority have run out of patience to the point
where they are no longer willing to give this issue any more time, then my
suggestion would be to take the concrete steps to disband the project from
the ASF and move on with life. In other words, if the time for a divorce has
come (to reuse the analogy that some of you have used), then why prolong the
current agony? Let's get this divorce out of the way and get on with life.

However, if there is no vast majority (there is no rule to "vast
majority"... just common sense), then again I would STRONGLY SUGGEST
resolving the current situation through mediation. We may still jointly
decide that the best approach is to move the project out of the ASF, but at
least we will find peace though some type of conclusion.

To be realistic, as some of you have mentioned, there are some serious trust
issues. We need to determine if trust can be rebuilt--which seems doubtful
at the point we're at now, but I've also seen stranger things happen--or, at
least, how can we avoid stepping on each other's toes?

Whatever the solution, I very much believe that life would be better for all
of you, the ASF in general, and the project's users if we could resolve this
situation once and for all.

To give some examples of possible scenarios:

 - the project is moved out of the ASF

 - the project moves into incubation

 - any continuation in the ASF is conditional upon
   the behaviour of the project's more "agressive"
   members (i.e., as some of you mentioned:
   "this has to stop", or in other words: any
   subsequent fault over the next x months would
   automatically cause the project to be disbanded)

Now, these are just suggestions in the attempt to reassure the more
sceptical members that their voices will also (at last) be heard in this
process. These are not necessarily the solutions that we'll agree on.

>From my understanding so far, there appear to be three camps. What I would
like to do first is take a quick pulse of the situation to see how many of
you belong to each camp. For this, please feel free to respond either
publicly or privately.

As mentioned above, if there is clearly a vast majority of members who are
not willing to invest more time in this project, the theme of our mediation
could be "how do we peacefully move the project out of the ASF?"

If the parties are more mixed, then the theme should be "how do we bring
peace and harmony back to the community?"

Please indicate to me, publicly or privately, if your preference is to:

 [  ] pass on any new attempt to mediate and
      simply move the project out of the ASF

 [  ] work out some solution that is acceptable
      to all

 [  ] wadeva man, das cool (neutral)

 [  ] other (please explain)

Note: all replies to me privately will be held strictly confidential.

Best wishes,
Dave

RE: Taking a quick pulse of the situation

Posted by Andreas Oberhack <de...@softwarefabrik.biz>.
Hi David,

>  [  ] pass on any new attempt to mediate and
>       simply move the project out of the ASF
>
>  [  ] work out some solution that is acceptable
>       to all
>
>  [  ] wadeva man, das cool (neutral)
>
>  [ x] other (please explain)

I would like to keep two things clearly separated:

1) There is an excellent piece of code which really should have the
chance to stay under the umbrella of Apache so that a good and strong
community could be build along with it. Many projects are already built
on that code. Technically there is neither a reason to send the code to
incubation nor to send it out of Apache.

2) There are personal things to solve.

My request is to focus on the second point first.

Mediation is good option for me here.

All the best

Andreas

---