Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2004/05/18 14:48:52 UTC

Re: out-of-date problem -- I don't get it

Lukas Ruf <ru...@rawip.org> writes:
> Crawling the documentation led me to to 'svn update'.
>
> This however, resulted in 'reverts'.  So, I interrupt this process by

How did running 'svn update' result in reverts?  That should never
happen; at the worst, you should get conflicts, but not reverts.

> The problem now is: I cannot commit the local modifications.
>
>   komsys-pc-ruf:2.6.6!62> svn status -v -u CREDITS
>   M      *      165      165 ruf          CREDITS
>   Status against revision:    166
>   komsys-pc-ruf:2.6.6!63> svn commit -m "saving CREDITS" CREDITS
>   Sending        CREDITS
>   svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>   svn: Your file or directory 'CREDITS' is probably out-of-date
>   svn:
>   The version resource does not correspond to the resource within the
>   transaction.  Either the requested version resource is out of date
>   (needs to be updated), or the requested version resource is newer
>   than the transaction root (restart the commit).
>
> My question: how can I solve this problem without losing my changes?

Running 'svn update' shouldn't lose your changes.  We'd need more
details to figure out why you felt it would, though...

-Karl

Re: out-of-date problem -- I don't get it

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Lukas Ruf <ru...@rawip.org> writes:
> > How did running 'svn update' result in reverts?  That should never
> > happen; at the worst, you should get conflicts, but not reverts.
>
> Please accept my apologies.  Following your email, I tried again and
> saw that subversion worked as it is expected.

Whew.  You had me worried there was a bug there...

> I do not remember why I had the feeling svn would 'revert' -- maybe I
> should leave the office.
>
> Thanks!

You're welcome!

-Karl

Re: out-of-date problem -- I don't get it

Posted by Lukas Ruf <ru...@rawip.org>.
> kfogel@collab.net <kf...@collab.net> [2004-05-18 18:05]:
>
> Lukas Ruf <ru...@rawip.org> writes:
> > Crawling the documentation led me to to 'svn update'.
> >
> > This however, resulted in 'reverts'.  So, I interrupt this process
> > by
>
> How did running 'svn update' result in reverts?  That should never
> happen; at the worst, you should get conflicts, but not reverts.

Please accept my apologies.  Following your email, I tried again and
saw that subversion worked as it is expected.

> Running 'svn update' shouldn't lose your changes.  We'd need more
> details to figure out why you felt it would, though...

I do not remember why I had the feeling svn would 'revert' -- maybe I
should leave the office.

Thanks!

wbr,
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
<http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? -> <http://www.rawip.org> |