Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by pero <pe...@antaramusic.de> on 2001/09/27 22:09:02 UTC

jikes ... jspc

Hi there,

I am trying to do 3 different things (each of them with limited success).
1. use jikes as Jsp-Compiler
2. precompile jsps with jspc
3. precompile jsps with jspc and jikes

I searched the mailinglist and the web for almost an hour (with little
"breaks" trying out everything).
My environment is Tomcat4 (release) on win2000 (dev) and linux (deploy).

Problem #1:
When I set up Jikes as JspCompiler in web.xml the rt.jar is not withing the
compiler-classpath and so jikes will not compile. I tried an init-parameter
(for the jsp-servlet) called "classpath" but it didn't help. Everything
works fine if I put rt.jar into my /WEB-INF/lib directory, which is
obviously a very bad decision...

Problem #2:
I figured out how to use jspc to compile my webapp (good documentation on
that). But the generated files are all in the same package/directory. When
generating the files the normal way (accessing a jsp while the server is
running) the created file will be stored in a package according to directory
it is in. Example: when compiling http://somehost/here/my.jsp the server
generates [my workdir]/localhost/_/here/my.java with jspc only [my
workdir]/my.java
And so the server does not recognize my compiled pages. BTW: Did I got
something wrong or isn't jspc meant to create the classfiles, too? It
creates only the java-files in my environment (creating the class files
would be *wonderful* ...)

Problem #3:
Would be the final bonus. Is there a simple way (nothing like creating a
shell script called javac which calls jikes or such things) to enable jikes
as compiler withing jspc? Our webapp is *HUGE* and the deploy-process
already takes a while...

If anybody could answer any of these I would be happy!

thanks in advance,
pe.ro