Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Olivier FAURAX <of...@neotion.com> on 2008/10/10 08:39:50 UTC

--ignore-externals by default

Hello SVN Gurus,

Would it be possible to tell svn client (Linux command line) to ignore
externals when ignore-externals option is available (up, st, etc.).
It's a pain to kill 'svn st' because externals takes too much time to
verify there is nothing to update and to retype 'svn st
--ignore-externals' (+400% in length ;) ).

I don't want to redefine all the commands in my .bashrc

Thanks for any help
--
Olivier FAURAX

Re: --ignore-externals by default

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 14, 2008, at 08:11, Olivier FAURAX wrote:

>>> I want ignore-externals to be the default behavior.
>>
>> You mean "the default behavior for you", right?
>> We can't make it the default behavior out-of-the-box.  But we can
>> offer
>> a config option for it, so that you can choose to have that be the
>> default for you...
>
> Yes, I don't want to change the overall behavior for everyone ;)
>
> I would like an option to be able to work on a project without
> specifying --ignore-externals each time.
>
> Some ideas :
>  * a config in ~/.subversion/config (but a user would want to tune
> project by project)
>  * a config project-wide i.e. a property (svn:ignore-externals ?)
> that could be overriden by an option (svn up --force-externals)
>  * simply a shorter option : svn up -i

Your original mail said you did not want to redefine your commands in
your .bashrc:

On Oct 10, 2008, at 03:39, Olivier FAURAX wrote:

> Would it be possible to tell svn client (Linux command line) to
> ignore externals when ignore-externals option is available (up, st,
> etc.).
> It's a pain to kill 'svn st' because externals takes too much time
> to verify there is nothing to update and to retype 'svn st --ignore-
> externals' (+400% in length ;) ).
>
> I don't want to redefine all the commands in my .bashrc

But that would solve your problem for now, until Subversion can be
changed to include that option:

svn() {
	case "$1" in
		st|stat|status)
			svnargs1=""
			svnargs2="--ignore-externals"
			for i in $@; do
				if [ "--examine-externals" == "$i" ]; then
					svnargs2=""
				else
					svnargs1="$svnargs1 $i"
				fi
			done
			echo command svn $svnargs1 $svnargs2
			;;
		*)
			command svn "$@"
			;;
	esac
}

Re: --ignore-externals by default

Posted by Olivier FAURAX <of...@neotion.com>.
Karl Fogel a écrit :
> Olivier FAURAX <of...@neotion.com> writes:
>> Karl Fogel a écrit :

>>> Can you clarify?  Do you mean you want an "ignore-externals" option to
>>> be made available in the ~/.subversion/config file?
>> Yes.
>> I want ignore-externals to be the default behavior.
>
> You mean "the default behavior for you", right?
>
> We can't make it the default behavior out-of-the-box.  But we can offer
> a config option for it, so that you can choose to have that be the
> default for you...

Yes, I don't want to change the overall behavior for everyone ;)

I would like an option to be able to work on a project without
specifying --ignore-externals each time.

Some ideas :
  * a config in ~/.subversion/config (but a user would want to tune
project by project)
  * a config project-wide i.e. a property (svn:ignore-externals ?) that
could be overriden by an option (svn up --force-externals)
  * simply a shorter option : svn up -i

Thanks

Posted by Olivier FAURAX <of...@neotion.com>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.