Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jurg van Vliet <ju...@truthtrap.com> on 2009/05/26 09:33:52 UTC

struggling with couchdb: the problem of multiple databases

people,

we have a group of people that organizes itself in several overlapping
project teams. we are planning to offer a web app that lets this group
organize itself along these lines and work together. they can can
basically share and discuss information.

i believe couchdb is perfect for a case like this. but i don't exactly
know how to model this, and/or where i can expect problems to arise.

as the group of people is fairly large and the nr of projects is
difficult to predict i do think we have to scale, somehow. i also
think that people wil want to take their data with them, on mobile or
in plains, anywhere.

we have chosen to use one database that describes the state of the
group (users, projects, etc.) and every project (environment) has its
own database, with everything necessary for that project and its team
to be able to work.

so far everything is fine, but we will soon run into 2 problems
1. search the entire system
2. aggregating information

search is evident. but there might be one catch. a user might not have
rights to see everything, and those rights are most probably different
for every user. you would like to show a user its combined status in
some places. examples like 'your last 10 remarks' are obvious. this is
not straightforward in the setup we have chosen.

how to deal with these use cases in a couchdb (rails) environment?

groet,
jurg.