Posted to dev@atlas.apache.org by Sarath Subramanian <sa...@apache.org> on 2019/03/25 00:43:11 UTC

Apache Atlas 2.0 release preparation

Atlas team,

we have added a number of features and improvements in master branch and it
has been more than 6 months since Apache Atlas 1.1.0 was released. I
propose that we make a release of Apache Atlas 2.0

Some of the major features/updates:

New features:
  - Upgraded component versions - Hadoop 3.1, Hive 3.1, HBase 2.0, Solr
7.5, Kafka 2.0, Janusgraph 0.3.1
  - New Atlas Index Repair tool for JanusGraph
  - New patch framework to persist typedef patches and java patches applied
to atlas
  - Introduce Atlas Import Transform Handler
  - Atlas Soft-Reference Implementation
  - New service-type to filter entitydef type

Notification Processing enhancements:
 - Option to ignore/prune metadata for temporary/staging Hive tables
 - Updated notification processing to support batch-commits
 - Updated hook notification processing with option to ignore potentially
incorrect hive_column_lineage
 - Updated Hive hook to avoid duplicate column-lineage entities; also
updated Atlas server to skip duplicate column-lineage entities
 - Updated notification processing to propagate classifications only when
specified
 - Improved batch processing in notificaiton handler to avoid processing of
an entity multiple times

Performance improvements:
 - Changes to avoid unnecessary lookup when creating new relationships
 - Update metrics query to use index query instead of graph query for
faster response
 - Updated entity create/update to handle relationship attributes
consistently

If you have any updates that needs to be in 2.0 release, please prioritize
them to be committed before March-27.

I volunteer to be the release manager for Apache Atlas 2.0 release.

Timelines planned for release activities:
  - Tentative date for the release will be *Friday, April 01, 2019 (PDT)*
  - Creation of release branch from current master: end of *Monday, March
25, 2019 (PDT)*
  - First release candidate to be sent for voting: end of *Wednesday, March
27, 2019 (PDT)*

Thanks,
Sarath

Re: Apache Atlas 2.0 release preparation

Posted by Keval Bhatt <ke...@gmail.com>.
This is a good initiative to release 2.0 Atlas, as it has a new UI / Server
side improvements.

+1 from my side.

Thanks,
Keval