Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sean Kelly <se...@lists.randomfx.net> on 2002/06/30 02:37:33 UTC

Tomcat 4.0.{3,4} not starting

Hi,

	I am having problems starting Tomcat on my machine.

	I have tried both 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 binary installations (setting
CATALINA_HOME appropriately) without success.  Here is what I see in
either case:

root@box1:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/bin# ./startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/local/jdk1.3.1_03
root@box1:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/bin#

but no ports open up and ps shows no new process running.

	In an attempt to do some debugging I also tried:

root@box1:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/bin# ./catalina.sh run
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/local/jdk1.3.1_03
Segmentation fault
root@box1:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/bin#

	Reading README.TXT and RUNNING.TXT there seems to be nothing
difficult with getting a binary installation up and running so what
problem have I come up against?

	Some details from my system:

		Slackware Linux 8 based system
		Kernel 2.2.21 + SMP (Dual P-III 1Ghz)
		Sun Java SDK 1.3.1_03 (with JAVA_HOME set correctly)

	Could someone offer advice?  I saw nothing relevant in the
archives so please point me to the message(s) if I missed it/them.

Sean Kelly

Re: Tomcat 4.0.{3,4} not starting - solved

Posted by Sean Kelly <se...@lists.randomfx.net>.
Hi,

	Solved my problem :)  Apparently my machine didn't like java
-client (default) so I edited the jvm.cfg so that -classic was the first
option and now Tomcat 4.0.4 starts.

	Thanks for the advice.

Sean Kelly

Re: Tomcat 4.0.{3,4} not starting

Posted by Sean Kelly <se...@lists.randomfx.net>.
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Dmitry ... wrote:

>  In the first case, it looks to me like tomcat should have been
> started -- these are the normal messages.  Try to connect to
> :8080/">http://<localhost>:8080 with your browser.  If tomcat is up,
> it should present you with the default page.

	I know it should have started but as I stated no ports open
up.  This means that netstat -ta shows nothing for 8080 and I cannot
connect to localhost:8080.

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Carrie Salazar wrote:

> did you do a ps -e | egrep java? (assuming you aren't doing anything
> else with java). or ps -A | egrep java. does nothing show up on
> localhost:8080?

	Nothing shows up on the ps.  Nothing on port 8080.

	Could this in some way be an SMP related issue?

Sean Kelly

Re: Tomcat 4.0.{3,4} not starting

Posted by Carrie Salazar <sa...@nature.berkeley.edu>.
--
carrie s.

Re: Tomcat 4.0.{3,4} not starting

Posted by "Dmitry ..." <di...@yahoo.com>.

Hi.
In the first case, it looks to me like tomcat should have been started -- these are the normal messages.
Try to connect to :8080/">http://<localhost>:8080 with your browser.
If tomcat is up, it should present you with the default page.
--Dmitry

  Sean Kelly <se...@lists.randomfx.net> wrote: Hi,